From Erin

Partner Up to Work Out

As I’ve recently discovered, it’s hard to be lazy when you’re surrounded by active people. While I’ve worked out regularly for years, my hubby has been a yo-yo exerciser, only recently starting to fit exercise in consistently. I’ve always hounded him to exercise more, but I can’t really blame him. When someone is so busy that it comes down to fitting in exercise or sleep, you know what’s going to win out.
Studies show that in relationships, couples have great influence on each other when it comes to getting active. A University of Pittsburgh study concluded that women who work out regularly are more likely to have an active spouse. And researchers at the American College of Sports Medicine found that compared with singles, married men and women reported higher levels of exercise participation. Partnered men who were highly active were almost three times as likely to have a similarly active spouse.
Photobucket
From my personal experience, I know that when my husband works out on top of his already busy schedule, it keeps me in check. Besides going for walks after dinner, we’ll hit the gym together or even try new workouts (more on that Thursday!).

While there may be some activities you can’t do as a couple—he runs way faster and leaves me choking on his dust, for example—we do enjoy hiking together, skiing and walking the dog. At the gym, we do our own cardio, and he helps me figure out the weight machines. I know I work out harder and longer when he’s at the gym with me.

If you’re single, no worries! Grab a friend and make weekly dates at the gym or the park. When you know someone expects you to be there, it’s hard to get lazy and let them down. Erin

Photo grabbed from photobucket.com.

Comments

1. c says

I agree 100%, my dear husband and I really encourage each other. We enjoy working out together, it is great quality time for just us!

2. Mark Salinas says

Absolutely….My journey really took off over 3 years ago in Boot Camp at LTF…..accountability and motivation! YUP!

3. Erica says

Great post! Both my husband and I are very active. I think we really encourage each other! If we don’t go to the gym at the same time, we always make an effort to ask how each others trip went, what we did, etc. I agree with you on the running thing though, my husband is 6’3″ and I’m 5’1″, running together does NOT work. haha.

4. fatfighter says

I always do better when I have someone to workout with, whether it’s a friend, personal trainer, or my husband. This summer, my husband and I have been taking a Boot Camp class together and it definitely helps because if I don’t feel like going, he makes sure I do it anyway! ;)

5. tfh says

I am more consistently active than my husband, too. But we haven’t been married long; hopefully he’ll be the one to change his habits and not me!

6. Jenn says

c: It really is a good way to spend time together. My hubby and I have tennis dates quite often.

mark: Yep. It’s much easier to have a partner to workout with!

erica: I find that checking in with friends and my husband about my workouts is a great way to stay focused. You’re more likely to stick with something if someone is inquiring about your progress. ;)

fatfighter: Doing a bootcamp together is a fantastic idea, especially if it’s early in the AM and hard to get out of bed on your own!

tfh: Well, you’re setting one heck of an example, so I’m sure he’ll be inspired to workout regularly soon!

7. Tanya says

I too have to agree. I’ve never really had people to go to the gym with, but my motivation yo-yo’s like your husband. It’s so much easier when I know people who go to the gym regularly or when there is a class there that I like.

8. Sagan Morrow says

You’re absolutely right; if your partner is interested in fitness and nutrition then you have SO much more chance at succeeding in your own nutrition/fitness goals! I like biking with the boyfriend and we also walk most places that we go. Its nice to be able to do those things together.

9. MizFit says

I lifted with my now husband for 10 years…prechild.

I CANT WAIT to get back into training with him when she’s in school.

I havent found a ‘better’ partner.

10. Jenn says

Tanya: There for awhile I had a group of girls I’d always meet for Turbo Kick and it was an awesome way to stay on track and accountable. Especially since I’d never get my man into group class like that!

EGN: Lol. That sucks. Is there nothing he likes to do that you enjoy, too? They do say that “lovin” can be considered cardio…

Sagan: Good point! It’s a win-win!

Anon: Friends count, too!

MizFit: Awww, sweet. For me, lifting with a man pushes me to lift more. To heck with the 10 pounds, I’m curling 20s today. lol.