From Erin

Oh, to be a Morning Person…

Photobucket

If I could change anything about myself, it would be to make myself a morning person. I do love being up early, seeing the sun rise, seeing the quiet streets before the hustle and bustle of the day begins; it’s wonderful. Just not wonderful enough to make me want to get out of bed.

I’ve tried to change this sad fact about myself because if I was a morning person, my life would be so much easier. I would rise with the sun, throw on some workout gear, and get in a good 30-40 minute session before showering and starting my workday. I’ve tried to do this. And I’ve failed miserably each and every time. I don’t just dislike getting out of bed in the mornings. My body actually doesn’t function normally for the first 30 minutes to an hour after I rise. Something about even standing upright jars my newly awakened body the wrong way. And forget the workout. My body is already angry at me just for standing; each subsequent movement makes each little cell yell at me in agony.

My snooze-loving brain always, always tells me I need more sleep. But my awake brain knows that morning workouts make the most sense. You wake up, get the blood flowing, get sweaty, and then you shower and get ready for your day. When you don’t work out in the morning and “get it out of the way,” you’re stuck with the dilemma of when to get sweaty and enduring another shower. Ay caramba.

But because I can’t change myself or my snoozing habits, I’ve started working out when I feel like it. I’m fortunate to work from home and have started fitting in workouts in the afternoons when I need a break. It’s not only a great stress reliever, but italso frees up my evenings to relax more. I tend to work out at any time between 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. And I’m not miserable during the workouts.

So, when do the experts say is the best time to get moving? It looks like my body is leading me in the right direction without my brain knowing it. According to one expert, late afternoon or early evening is best, when you’re the most coordinated and your lungs are using oxygen more efficiently. And another study found changes in glucose metabolism and other hormonal responses, depending on the time of exercise, which may show that some times of the day may be better for working out than others.

I’m sure working out in the wee hours works for some people. Just not for me, and I’ve come to accept it. I’m embracing a new philosophy. The best time of day to work out is when you’ll actually do it. You snooze, you lose? I beg to differ.—Erin

Photo grabbed from http://www.photobucket.com/.

Comments

1. tfh says

I am a morning person. The sad flip side that most people never consider is that if you put me in a dim room at night and give me an alcoholic beverage, I end up snoozing on the couch– not exactly the life of the party. Sigh. But yes, I agree the two-shower dilemma is also quite exasperating. I guess the grass is always greener…

2. Marcy says

I am ALL about the morning LOL I totally understand why some peeps might not be able to roll with ti though. For me personally it’s when I have the most energy. After a full day of screaming at kids and hog tying them I’m zapped.

3. LisaNewton says

I’m definately a morning person, usually getting up before 6:00am everyday.

However, I don’t usually exercise that early. I tend to get some work done, blogging, email, etc., then I walk.

I’m in total agreement about the idea of exercising when it’s best for you. If exercise is forced, you won’t be doing it for too long.

4. Girl on Top says

I have a hard time working out in the early early morning, but around 8AM is good for me. Any earlier and my body is just too sleepy to do anything.

5. Sagan says

I’m a morning person. I like working out first and then carrying out with the rest of my day. To each his own!

6. Michelle says

I’m on a new routine of getting up early, but the hard reality is that it means going to bed really early. I’m tired by 9:00 now! It feels good though, to have time in the morning for myself.

7. Danica says

I am so jealous of you working out during the day. I do like the morning run though, the worst part is getting up and actually doing it. Two showers.. I know the pain, and so does my dried out hair! :)

8. Elizabeth says

Man, I wish I was lucky enough to be able to work out when I felt like it…which is usually around 10:30am… unfortunately, I work outside of my home from 9-5:30 and have a lovely 45-minute commute that comes with city living… I’m trying to be a morning workout person so I can get it done, ’cause otherwise I don’t get home until 6:30pm at the earliest and, if I workout, don’t eat dinner until 8:30 or 9:00pm. It’s a never-ending battle, which is why I’m currently overweight. :)

9. Fit Bottomed Girls says

Wow, I’m so impressed with our early-rising readers. Almost enough to try to be a morning person again. Almost, but not quite.

10. determinedtobefit says

I’m a morning workout person but sometimes I exercise in the evenings as well. I find that certain things (like running) don’t work for me mentally during the evenings. I can stomach a spin class after work but the thought of putting in serious miles after a full day makes it *that* much harder.

11. carla says

I'm TOTALLY a morning person.

Totally.

(Ok not really at all but with the arrival of our daughter I was compelled to PICK and I'm fo'shizzle not NIGHT)

IMO whenever you will actually do the workout is the Best! Time! To! Exercise!

A million & one studes could come out showing evening exercise makes you leaner far faster and I'd still work out in the a.m.

I'm useless come the latenight.

Miz.

12. zandria says

I wish I were one of those “exercise as soon as I wake up” people, too. You’re right — it would be a lot easier to get it out of the way so early in the morning. I’m much better after I have my coffee though, so usually I work out in the evenings after work (during the week) and late mornings (on the weekend).