From Jenn

Runnin’ in the Rain

Some may sing in the rain. I run in the rain.Not usually by choice though and with far less coordination and skill than Gene Kelly can sing or dance, but I do it out of necessity. And, it’s been kind of refreshing.

For the last few weeks, the weather in the Midwest has been more Sleepless in Seattle than Little House on the Prairie. And darn near every day after work I have come home to drizzle, sprinkles or downright cats and dogs. I love my exercise DVDs, but a Fit Bottomed Girl can only take so much indoor time. And my pup is going a littler stir crazy, too. After almost a week straight of soppy weather, the furry beast needed a good run as much as I did. Not to mention that she’d chewed the antenna off of my cordless phone and kept eyeing my black flats as her next victims.
After a particularly long and exasperating day at work, I decided to hell with it. I’m going running. I need to run. A quick check of the weather showed that no thunderstorms were in the vicinity, just a nice steady rain. So after a quick change into my scrubbier workout clothes (no need to look cute in the rain, after all), I grabbed the leash, the dog and my iPod Shuffle, and we were off. Right out of the gates, we got a few weird looks from people. I even had a lady in her car stop and offer us a ride home. “Um, no thanks. We’re just out running…in the rain.” Confused, she pulled away.
But honestly, the experience was kind of liberating. I felt like a bad ass for not letting a little water get in the way of my workout, and the rain was so cool and such a nice change from my sweat-drenched summer runs. I couldn’t tell what was sweat and what was rain on my face. I even had to pick up my pace because the dog, a little freaked out, kept sprinting, trying to get us to shelter, I imagine. Eventually though, she enjoyed it, too, even snapping at the raindrops occasionally to get a drink. (Dogs are great, eh?)
By the end of the run, I was sopping and probably smelled as bad as my dog, but I felt refreshed and a little renewed in the spirit department. Corny as it sounds, I felt more in touch with myself and Mother Nature. Not to mention that it felt freeing to be out when everyone else was dry and warm in their cars or battened-down houses. The streets were pretty much empty except for us, and, much to my pleasure, the squirrels were hunkered down, too, thereby preventing my pup from pulling my arm out of its socket in attempts to catch a furry snack.
In fact, I liked running in the rain so much that I decided to do it twice more the next week when a giant rain-filled system took up temporary residence over the Midwest again. Nowadays, when the rain clouds are a comin‘, I’m not heading to the gym. I’m hitting the streets with my four-legged friend. Eat your heart out, Gene Kelly. Jenn

Comments

1. The Dieting Ninja says

*grins* Go, you!

What a wonderful thing. So backwards, that our uptight society says it’s bad to run in the rain – you’ll get wet! And probably dirty! And goodness, you might ruin your clothes!

One of my fondest memories in college was all of us piling outside and playing mud football like idiots.

Sometimes it’s fun to get a little dirty.

2. tfh says

I have to admit, I’m a runner who hasn’t fully embraced the Rain Run, which always makes me feel like a little less of a runner. Very, very cool that you were able to enjoy it and give the pup a treat. Are you sure you didn’t join her and try to catch a few raindrops in your mouth? ;)

3. Jenn says

It is fun to get dirty!

I have a purebreed mut. We think she’s some sort of Shepherd mix, but she’s definitely a jumper with lots of energy. And she’s 11 months old, so she’s got plenty of onry in her. ;)

And, yes, I may have gotten a few raindrops in my mouth. Whoopsies. :)

4. Girl on Top says

I have ran twice in the rain, but it only made me cold and grouchy and lazy. I’ll try the next time!

5. Sagan says

That’s awesome.

Usually I prefer working out in bad weather, actually. I think its because I’m grouchy when its nice out and I’m all “crap no excuse today”, so when its not so nice out I’m thinking “hurray for me for toughing it out!”. And then I end up working out and feeling fantastic.

Gotta love a little reverse psychology:)

But seriously. There IS something so exhilarating about a good run/walk in the rain!

6. Laura says

Torrential rain is actually my favourite weather in which to run. I am from Vancouver so we’re used to the rain and you can’t let it stop you from exercising or you’d just never exercise! So I used to get out and run even if it was raining and found it so refreshing that I now prefer it. And the warm shower afterwards is always so nice too.

7. Danica says

Running in the rain is so nice, but when I get home, I feel like I am surely the next one to have the sniffles and then it’s down for the count!

8. WeightingGame says

oh, i remember getting caught in the rain on a run in college and I LOVED it – I felt so hardcore and close to nature and like I was in a Nike ad! Blisters ensued, tho…

9. Lizabelle says

I love running in the rain! So lovely to see that others do, too.

The only bits I don’t like are actually getting outside and trying to warm up, and then freezing as I peel off sopping, chilly gear at the end. The hot shower’s great, though!

10. Crabby McSlacker says

I HATE the idea of going out into it, but whenever I go running in the rain I feel so kick-ass. You definitely get extra Smug Points for running in the rain. And it’s much less miserable than walking in the rain.

11. MizFit says

I feel bad saying this when so many places are getting too much but Im SO READY FOR RAIN.

it has been months here.

now, not so much to run :), but to play. frolic.

cardiofrolicking.

12. Jenn says

weighting game: You described it perfectly for me–it felt EXACTLY like I was in a Nike ad!

And, yes, to the others who commented on peeling off cold, wet clothes and feeling like you’re coming down with something. I guess I only like to run in the rain when it’s above 65 degrees out. :)

MizFit: Cardiofrolicking? Heck ya!

13. SeeGirlRun says

We were having torrential downpours and I was watching the satellite. Thought I had a clear spot and I went out, for the first time, running in RAIN. LOTS OF RAIN.

Almost caused an accident when the weight of the water brought my running skirt to my knees….

14. topseekrit says

So what waterproof gear were you wearing? And what about wet socks? That’s the one thing that urks me, but kudos to you for running in the rain, made me think differently about it.

15. Jenn says

topseekrit: Waterproof gear? Ha! I’m not cool enough for that. Just my regular ol’ sneakers and T-shirt and shorts. :)

16. Cheryl Knott says

I live in Vancouver, if you don’t run in the rain, well you’re just not going to go running. It’s so normal here, nobody would thing twice about someone running in the rain. I like it, and find it cooling.