From Jenn

You Could Go All the Way

I just realized that this post title could be interpreted as really dirty, when really this post isn’t dirty at all. (Plenty of that here though.) Unless you’re talking about actual mud, and then it’s really dirty. See, this post is all about football.

Usually, each Sunday my husband camps out in front of the TV, keeping me from my dear DVR and Oprah re-runs, and watches about 10 hours of football. Yes, I calculated it, and it’s actually at least 10 hours in a single sitting. Far too much in my opinion. So naturally, as a wife fulfilling a terrible stereotype, I have begun to nag him. Here’s a sampling:

6 p.m.: “Don’t you think you’ve watched enough football for one day?”
7 p.m.: “So, um, are you alive, or are you just some football zombie?”
8 p.m.: “If I hear one more ‘He could go all the way!’ I’m going to scream. Turn the M-effer off!!!”
See? It escalates. If you have a male loved one, I’m sure you can understand. Somehow though, my husband has found a way of deflecting all of the above comments and it’s not by tuning me out. He’s started exercising during the games.
Now how am I gonna hate on that?! He’s a smart one…
During each game, he’ll pick a team to root for (usually the one on his fantasy football team), and each time they score, he’ll do the number of push-ups equal to his team’s total score. So the first time they make a touchdown, he does seven push-ups.The next time they score he does 14, and so on and so forth. It’s actually kind of brilliant, and I wish I’d thought of it.

I mean, it turns recreational passive viewing into active participation. And after joining in this push-upgame with him last Sunday, believe me, you start to really get pissed when your team is winning 52-14. It adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Now, of course, I had to add my own spin to the game. In addition to the push-ups, I’ll do lunges when the other team scores, jumping jacks during commercials and then at half time, I bring out the dumbbells and do exercises for the biceps, triceps, shoulders and back, along with bicycle crunches for the core.

It’s one hell of a workout. I’ve turned lazy Sunday time into interactive Sunday time, and I’ve stopped nagging as much. At least for the one game. —Jenn

Want more From the FBGs? Read more about the benefits of couples working out together or how to work out while traveling.

Photo grabbed from http://www.nataliedee.com/010907/finally-my-dream-of-playing-pro-football-has-come-true.jpg.

Comments

1. Crabby McSlacker says

What a great idea!

Not that I’m going to start watching football in order to give it a try, but still, what an awesome thing for hubby to do to make it more healthy.

2. WeightingGame says

my husband hits a sports bar on sundays with his boys and I do errands, relax, workout, etc. Then we rendezvous around 7pm for couple time. Works out great! If football is on at home, I don’t care how loud it’s blaring or how many fantasy football friends are calling/texting – I always pass out asleep!

3. BRANDI says

Hilarious!!! Awesome!!! Whatever makes you excited for the games b/c I’ve learned they are not going to be turned off and football season is very loooong. I have fallen in love with football b/c I can do whatever I want. Entertain, be entertained, have some “alone” time or together-bonding time. Now, add more working out to the list. Goooo RAVENS!

4. tfh says

I feel your pain. My husband is the same way on Sundays. Your plan sounds a lot better than my typical watching-the-clock-eagerly and groaning, “ANOTHER timeout?” Or just watching resigning myself to watching Netflix on the computer.

5. Clare says

What a fantastic idea! I lose access to the TV on Saturdays and Sundays as my hubby watches English football matches and then the American ones too!

6. Lori says

I’ll have to share this idea with my husband. Usually we are watching tv on one laptop (from the Slingbox we get US tv in Brazil) then he has the other laptop open watching his fantasy football scores and other polls he has going.

He could be much worse. Usually it is only a few hours on the weekend. If Purdue is playing I’ll watch too, although they haven’t given much to watch this year!

7. Marcy says

LMAO! That is SOOOOO FUNNY! Just yesterday when Mr McG was watching football (and I was downstairs on the comp :P) I kept hearing thunk, thunk, thunk every 10-15 minutes or so . . .so finally I’m like “WTF is HE DOING?!” I run upstairs to see him doing pushups HAHAHAHA He told me he was doing sets with every commercial break.

8. Danica says

I watch football too!!! I have a fantasy team, when you get into the fantasy thing, it’s super addicting. :)

9. Erica says

Thats such a wonderful idea- I <3 it. I must admit, I usually am just as excited as Josh is for the games!

10. Jenn says

weighting game: I am SO like you. Sometimes when I hear football on TV, it’s like my body knows that it’s nap time!

Brandi: I love your outlook on game time. Everyone scores!

tfh: I just found netflix on demand. Amazing stuff.

Marcy: Are men are genius!!!

11. MizFit says

hmmm Id need to encourage more football watching up in herre (we both cheer on the steelers and thats IT) I may have to pass as Im thanking it isnt all foozball all the time :)

now.

is today the DIRRTY post? :)

12. The Frocker says

At my alma mater (UPenn), it’s a tradition to make the cheerleaders do pushups equal to the number of points we’ve scored. I’ve never done it myself, but I’m definitely going to give it a try next time I spent a few hours watching college football!

13. Laura says

Ha! That’s awesome. I’m gonna do it! I love the Steelers more than my husband, I think. The kids might think I’m crazy at first…but maybe eventually they’ll join in :) Go Pittsburgh!