From Erin

Resolutions for 2009

I love the promise of a new year. And although my New Year’s resolutions are pretty standard year after year, it doesn’t stop me from continuing to make them. It’s a time to reevaluate what’s important and to re-emphasize what I want to accomplish in the year to come. To me it’s like hitting the refresh button on an internet browser to get the updated page. Here are this year’s twists on my old faithful resolutions.

1. Expand my workout horizons. Barring illness, flood or famine, I almost always find the time to work out. But with consistency of sticking with something comes the repetition and a sort of laziness that comes with a routine. While I do vary my routines considerably just doing FBG workout reviews, I need to get back on the street for my long walks and jogs, and to the gym more often for more varied cardio. The annual Self Challenge is a great help with workout variation, so stay tuned for more on the FBGs’ participation with that in the coming months. I also vow to try at least three new activities that I’ve never tried before. I’ve wanted to try rock climbing for an eternity, and I’ve never been to a spinning class, so those are definitely on the list. I’m thinking a water aerobics class for option three, but feel free to leave a suggestion in the comments!

2. Up the veggie intake.I’ve got the activity portion of my life under control, but the food is my weak spot. Being super busy, my hubby and I resort way too often to eating out as a fast fix for a meal. My goal is to cook more for a better and more well-rounded diet (the saving money part doesn’t hurt either). I’m also vowing to add more fruits and veggies to my daily routine. I’ve already gotten a head start on that project, adding fruit to my every-morning cereal routine and having fresh cut veggies on hand at all times to munch on.

3. Get away from the computer more!Working a day job and a blog job that both require much staring at the computer doesn’t leave much time for staring into space or reading good books. So in the new year, I will work more efficiently so that I have more time to relax and dive in to the last book of the Harry Potter series (I know, FINALLY).

So there you have it. My resolutions for a healthy and fun 2009. Let the games begin. First stop: spinning class.

Do you make New Year’s Resolutions? Let us know what they are in the comments! —Erin

Want more of the FBGs’ musings? Check out the benefits of massage or how to green up your workouts.

Photo grabbed from angela7dreams at Flickr.

Comments

1. Erica says

I don’t usually make them.

I like the idea of getting away from the computer more. I need to work on this one! I feel like my husband and I both spend 90% of our awake hours in front of a computer!

2. choosinglosing says

I’m doing 12 life-lutions which I’ll be addressing one month at a time. I’ll be posting them to my blog tomorrow morning so check them out!

Just_Kelly
    choosinglosing.wordpress.com

3. Irene says

Yeah, your resolutions are the same as mine. In the past I haven’t been able to keep them but this year I did pretty damned good!

Now on to 2009!

4. mooskietx says

I know that I spend the first ten hours of my day on the computer. I research fitness all day but then when it comes time to apply it I run out of time.

5. Michelle says

Never been to spinning?? Before I switched from the gym to the yoga studio spinning was my favorite class! Good luck with all your resolutions.

6. Sagan says

Good resolutions! I got Oxygen magazine in my stocking and I’ll be doing their workout for the next month, just for kicks. Also I got so excited to turn the page and see the little blurb about FBG in the mag! Very cool:)

7. Charlotte says

Great resolutions. I totally need to join you on #3! And hey – if you need any more ideas for #1, you know where to find me;)

8. Roblynn and Rebekah says

I had been an avid cyclist for years and never attended a spin class until we moved to Costa Rica. Now I go and work on my Spanish while I spin! The music can get pretty annoying since they don’t edit it at all and play lots of scethy music! Like you would not want to take the kids, at least if they speak English that is. Anyway enjoy spinning class and wear a heart rate monitor, it helps lots.

9. Donna says

I am adding swimming to my workout routine this year. I don’t know why it seems like a daunting task in the winter. Probably because planning ahead and having to change clothes is an extra annoying step. But I’m confident it will be worth it!

10. Michelle says

Rock climbing is AWESOME!!! And a great workout, you will feel muscles you didn’t know you had =] Best feeling ever, especially if you climb a real mountain and not just the wall at the gym (although that’s good too)!

11. basicallybaked says

Huh! I’m surprised you haven’t taken a spinning class! It’s a good workout.

Good list of resolutions. Especially the getting away from the computer!

12. HangryPants says

Great goals for ’09! Good luck and can’t wait to read along and see you meet them all!

13. Andrea [bella eats] says

Great resolutions! I <3 the Self Challenge to get me back on track…its just what I need! Can't wait to see what FBG does with it. One of my resolutions is to get away from the computer too, although I've spent most of today catching up on blogs… :P Happy New Year!