Bollywood Booty

Happy New Year, everyone! After a fun night ringing in the New Year, I’m sure you’re ready to keep the bum shaking going with Bollywood Booty. Like the previous Bollywood Dance Workout, this DVD is about 50 minutes of Bollywood-inspired fun and also features voice-over cuing. The DVD is divided into four workout segments, but I felt that doing the whole video got me sweaty without being too much to handle. Silly dance moves with funny names disguise the many pliés throughout the workout that target your buns and thighs, and although it doesn’t say so in the name, your core is definitely the star of the show. (And speaking of the star of the show, watch for our Q&A with instructor Hemalayaa Behl tomorrow!)

The DVD starts with a warm-up walk that is repeated throughout the workout. Instead of a “walk in place” like many aerobics videos, it’s more of a hip sway back and forth, which is a lot of fun. Baby pliés get your legs warm while you’re introduced to the arm moves—flicking arm moves, goddess hands, turning light bulbs and Bollywood vogue moves.

You start the main workout segment with “butt monster” moves—plié bounces adding in toe taps, torso twists and shrugging shoulders that hit multiple muscles at once. The combinations of the arms and constant bouncing and pliéing of the legs really get you warm.

Side-to-side lunges with “painting the walls” moves (and painting yourself with love) add to the fun and silliness of the workout…and to the inner-thigh work. A series of hops get your heart rate up, and then you get to make like an elk and practice a mating dance. (My hubby really enjoyed trying this one after he saw it on Ellen. It totally worked.)

The swan move—swaying your hips in a figure eight formation—really worked my hips because it’s definitely not a move I do often. Hip flicks to the side let you shimmy, and holding your hands over your head really works the arms and shoulders. Both times I did this workout I got a stitch in my side during this part, the mark of me doing cardio outside of my norm.

At the end of the workout, you put together all of the moves you’ve learned, but in a fun way, not a “I’m stressed out and I have to remember all of the moves … what comes next?!” way. The cool down could be longer, in my opinion, but it includes some nicelight yoga-inspired stretching.

Although I do wish Hemalayaa would cue live, it’s still a fun workout that doesn’t feel like 50 minutes of cardio. Also check out the bonus features, which includes a 6-minute super-fun samba reggae segment and a Liberation Dance, which is quite interesting to watch.

FBG Rating (Out of 5):
Instruction: ★★★
Long-Term Likeability: ★★★
Music: ★★★★
Fun Factor: ★★★★
Meets Expectations: ★★★★
Overall: ★★★1/2

Fit Bottom line: Both easy to follow and sweat inducing, Bollywood Bootyis a solid way to have fun and work out. Add the arms and give it your Bollywood all, and I guarantee a sweaty you. —Erin

We’ve got an astounding FIVE copies of Bollywood Booty to give away this week. Leave us a comment in today or tomorrow’s post and you’ll be entered to win! If you’re a shy non-commenter (we know you’re out there!), shoot us an email at [email protected] or buy it new or used on Amazon.

Comments

1. Nikki says

I linked to your site from Cranky Fitness today & I'm already interested in the very first article. Who doesn't want to learn some dance moves that also help get you into shape?

2. Beth says

It sounds like this Hemalayaa video is better than her premiere Bollywood workout, which I had a hard time with (poor cueing, offbeat). I’m glad you enjoyed this one!

3. Brooke says

I found your site while reading Oxygen magazine for Feb. 2009 and I love it! I’m very excited to try the Bollywood workout! My goal for 2009 is to try to do more “fun” workouts instead of ones that feel like work! Thanks for posting!

4. Fisher says

Ever since the end of Slumdog Millionaire…my wife and I have been dancing and working out to Bollywood music. This DVD looks awesome!

5. Ann says

I always read FBG, but I don’t think I’ve ever commented. I actually came today looking specifically for new workout ideas since we just had a snowstorm and I won’t be leaving my house for the rest of the day! My DVD collection is seriously lacking, and this looks like a neat video of something I’d actually try and do more than once. Plus, my boyfriend would get a kick out of it as he’s Middle Eastern.

6. j says

This video sounds like fun, I already have a couple of bellydance videos (more learn to dance than fitness)and where I’m living, there’s a lot of East Indian culture!

Thanks for posting
    Jaymie

7. Sagan says

Ooh I’d love to try this. Sounds like heaps of fun! Dancing would be a good new exercise to try. Thanks so much for reviewing it!

8. Bethlin says

I loved the link to the Ellen video…as long as I can do it alone in my living room with no one watching at all and no mirrors, I TOO can be a bollywood star!! :)

9. gilda92 says

I’m kind of tired of the cutesy aspect that’s entered the workout world. Do you have to aim for glamour? What about all of us ordinary women? not ‘girls’ not ‘cute’ who don’t use the term ‘booty’? Any more of me out there?

10. Casey says

I’ve been trying to learn that Bollywood dancing after watching Cheetah Girls: One World. This workout looks fun!

11. Renae says

Wow….these workout DVD’s just seem to keep getting better and better! This one looks like a riot. I generally don’t like Bollywood workouts, but this I am totally willing to give a try!

12. eaglegirl says

Just discovered your site–it’s perfect for me and this video sounds like a blast. Anything that moves me from exercise to 50 minutes of fun sounds great!

Good luck on the reading; that’s one of my resolutions too.

13. Laura says

This sounds really cool, but I’m a little confused by what you said about how you wish she would do ‘live cueing’. I know what cueing is, but what does it mean to do it ‘live’?

Either way, I’d love a chance to win it :)

14. Fit Bottomed Girls says

Glad to see everyone interested in shaking their booties!

Gilda: You’ll have to click back through our “Under Review” section. We have a great mix of the cutesy and the hard core!

Laura: She doesn’t cue as she’s doing the moves; it’s more of a performance. The instructions and cues are then dubbed over later to explain the moves. Hope that helps!

15. Elina says

Wow, I never thought I’d be saying it… but now I want to try a bollywood workout! Thanks for the review!! :)

16. Catherine says

This sounds like so much fun! It’s a great idea for keeping certain new year’s resolutions without losing one’s mind :)