No Cure, a Pound for a Pound, and the Slow Creep

Exercise may not cure obesity, The Biggest Loser gets charitable, and we all need fewer cals as we age.

Exercise Isn’t an Obesity Cure
According to a new study, exercise may not be the solution to America’s obesity epidemic. In fact, diet may reign supreme. I must note that this study contradicts a few other studies and concurs with some others, as most frustrating research does. One day it’s one thing; the next it’s something else. Which leads me to my soapbox…

Okay, I know that exercise is only part of the weight-loss equation (diet is HUGE), but research that says that exercise doesn’t play much of a part in dropping the lbs kind of ticks me off. Yes, I know working out strengthens bones, improves your circulatory and reduces risks of cancer, but I just feel that when people read studies like this, they just use it as an excuse to not work out. Don’t do that, okay? Exercise helps build confidence, it improves your mood and generally helps you enjoy life more, no matter your size. Now who doesn’t want that?

So please exercise, okay?

The Pound For Pound Challenge
If you’re been watching The Biggest Loser this season, (like we have) you probably have heard about the Pound For Pound Challenge, but you may not know exactly what it entails. And, if you’ve never heard of the challenge, read on, dear friend!

The challenge helps raise money for Feeding America, which provides low-income individuals and families with the healthy fuel to survive and thrive. To help the cause, all you have to do is lose weight. General Mills will donate 10 cents to the organization for each pound you knock off. Already at a healthy weight? You can also mail in Pound For Pound lids or seals on specially marked General Mills products. For every lid or seal mailed in, General Mills will donate 10 cents to Feeding America. Still want to do more? You can also donate directly to the organization. With a couple pounds from the holidays left to lose, I may do all three!

Do it pound for pound.

Eat Less as You Age
You may only be as old as you feel, but when it comes to your metabolism, age does matter. Bummer, we know. A recent study in the American Journal of Health Promotion shows that women who did not become more restrained in their eating as they aged had more than twice the risk of substantial weight gain than those who did. (Hey, I’m not happy about this research either.)

The FBGs are big on enjoying everything in moderation, but this probably means that as we age, our definition of “moderation” may not be able to include daily doses of chocolate, wine and full-fat cheeses. It’ll have to be every other day, or even (panic!) once or twice a week. Damn.

Age is more than a number.

Jenn

Photos grabbed from ninahale and jspatchwork on Flickr.

Comments

1. Erica says

Hey girl ;) Hope your week is treating you well. That first study really irritates me too! I wonder if the person/group that put out the results hate the gym? haha.

2. tfh says

I’m totally with you about the exercise and obesity thing. And I’ve observed that the older folks in my life just have less of an appetite despite being otherwise healthy– so I’m hoping the whole “eat less as you age” thing feels natural.

3. JavaChick says

Boo to that “eat less as you age” thing. As to the exercise thing, I’ve been a regular exerciser for years and I have found that it doesn’t make much difference to my weight. For me weight management seems to come down to food. Which is no fun. Cause the exercise thing I got. The food thing – not so much.

4. Merry says

That makes me mad, mad I tell you!
    Well… it makes me pretty cranky anyway.
    Exercise keeps you fit!
    What’s the point of dieting yourself into a slim greyhound if you’re out of shape? It’s not healthy and it’s not fun.
    Grrr…

operist – someone who studies opera, of course.

5. Chic Runner says

Great topics here. I agree with everyone else, eating less with your age is lame… :) Exercise keeps you fit not eating less! So work out! :)

6. Roblynn and Rebekah says

The older having to eat less thing if a sure thing. The exercise study I think must have been done by a group of nutritionists or something, because I have never seen that to be true in many years of personal training!

7. Lori says

When I was in undergrad my professor had done some studies on the influences of diet change and exercise on weight loss. While diet may influence the total pounds lost more, exercise is what keeps the weight off long term. People who don’t include exercise appear to be more likely to gain the weight back than those who incorporate exercise as a habit.

This was a few years back and I haven’t looked at the data recently, but I say there is still great hope for exercise! Not to mention the mental benefit.

8. Dara Chadwick says

Exercising seems even more important to help fight the slowing metabolism that aging brings. The older we get, the more we have to bump up the exercise if we want to keep eating at the same level, I guess.

9. Sagan says

Agreed that people will look for any excuse not to exercise- and that’s not going to help at all! We NEED to be fit for our health.