Introducing the First-Annual Fitties!
Welcome to the FBG One-Year Celebration Week! We’ve been talking about it all month, but it’s finally here! And Erin and I couldn’t be more excited and hope that you are, too. Every day this week we have something fun and special planned, along with an EXTRAORDINARY GIVEAWAY EVERY AFTERNOON. So stay tuned and check back often. The fun is going to be fast and furious (minus the bad car chase scenes).
To kick things off right, Erin and I are each unveiling our top five products from the past year. And by “top,” I mean can’t live-without, want-to-marry, kiss-the-creators’-feet good. We really, really like this stuff (with no advertising influence of course!), and we think that this stuff should get some special attention. Hence “The Fitties.”
1. Vega.I made no qualms about my love for the Vega smoothie powder. This stuff is pricey and hard to find, but I guarantee that it’s worth every pretty penny. It’ll make you feel grrr-eat each and every day!
2. The TRX. My love of this one is also well publicized. Since I wrote about the TRX system last month, I’ve been using it consistently for the majority of my weight training, and I’m loving the results. The system hits your core like no other. In fact, if I had to choose between not having a TV or not having the TRX for a month, I’d probably give up the TV. And that’s saying a lot since both So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol are in season.
3. The Biggest Loser Workout: Weight Loss Yoga. Because Bob Harper isn’t a product, I couldn’t really choose him for a Fittie (although boy is he fit!), so I found the second-best thing: The Biggest Loser Weight-Loss Yoga. Even though I like all of the BL DVDs, this one is Bob’s best one in my opinion, and it’ll turn anyone who thinks yoga is “easy” into a ripped yogi convert. It’s challenging, rewarding and makes you feel good by the end. Oh, and did I mention Bob’s in it?
4. Ellie Krieger’s The Food You Crave. Many of our readers may not know about this one, since I covered it last June, but it’s by far my favorite healthy eating cookbook. Every recipe I have ever tried out of it has been delicious and surprisingly easy to make despite its high-class ta-da presentation. Ellie’s Dark Chocolate Mousse is a staple at all of my hosted dinners, and it always gets good remarks. Oh, and everyone freaks out when I tell them (after they’re done eating it) that there’s tofu in it. Hehe.
5. Puma’s Running Tights. During my three-month training for the half marathon, I had one pair of running tights that beat the heck out of any pair of pants, shorts or capris: the Puma three-quarters length running tights. These were PERFECT for training, and now I wear them for all of my workouts. (I used to save them for just my runs so that I wasn’t doing laundry every night of the week, in fact.) I seriously think I run faster in these. It may just be psychological, but I’ll take it, and my big calves look fly in them, so I bet yours will, too!
Jenn’s Runners Up:
- Vitatops. Low-cal and tastier than you’d imagine for the nutritionals!
- Tamilee Webb’s Best of DVDs. This veteran knows her stuff and leads a near-perfect workout.
- Element AM PM Yoga. This will make you a better, more relaxed person. Period.
1. Core Fusion Body Sculpt. This DVD, and its sister DVD, Core Fusion Pilates Plus, are now staples in my workout routine. If you don’t think it’s possible to get a good burn in 10 minutes, these will have you changing your mind in a hurry.
2. Gracie’s Gear Pocketed Sports Bra. This sports bra is awesome for stashing a key, a driver’s license, or even a cell phone if you’re so inclined. No more hiding the key under a flower pot or tying it on your shoe—this bra will give you peace of mind that your valuables are safe and sound.
3. Mindy Mylrea’s Action Packed/Interval Express. These may be two of the toughest DVDs I’ve ever done, and they’re tops in my book because while you can always tone down a workout and make it easier, it’s much harder to amp up your energy level when the workout is lame. And these DVDs are anything but lame. They combine high-energy step aerobics and hi/low for an awesome cardio workout (and you don’t even need a step). Plus, Mindy’s sense of humor and attitude are contagious.
4. lucy Capris. These capris fit me really well and are super flattering and comfortable. Plus, I love the foldable waistband, and they never stretch out.
5. Nike Sister One Shoes. These training shoes are super light and flexible, and they finally got me to stop wearing running shoes for every activity.
- The Jyze. This product gave me the biggest laugh of the year, only because of the difficulty my hubby and I had figuring it out at first. And really, it’s not as embarassing to use as you’d think.
- Mindless Eating. This book makes you stop and think about all of the factors that go into why you go back for seconds. A must read!
- Britney Spears: Circus and Lady Gaga: The Fame. I rocked out to these albums more than any others while running.