From Erin

Moving On, Moving Away

Credit: Shek Graham

Credit: Shek Graham

Loyal readers may remember my MINOR freakout back in March where I was crazy-stressed and didn’t work out for two weeks. You may remember that my husband and I were making a major decision about jobs and moving and life. After making that big decision so many months ago, it’s hard to believe that the time has come. I’m moving. And I’m not just moving a little—I’m doing it right. West Coast to East Coast. 2,933 miles if you’re looking for exact numbers.

Just over two years ago, we moved from Kansas to California, which isn’t exactly a short drive either. And although we knew we probably wouldn’t end up on the West Coast long term, it’s been a great place to call home. You can’t beat the perfect Northern California weather. There is an abundance of nature, activity and sight-seeing around every corner. I’ve had skiing just a few hours away, and an ocean (albeit a freezing one) a mere 30-minute drive away. We’ve done wine country and Lake Tahoe and hiking and shown “The City” of San Francisco off to family and friends. I even got to see Jenn on her honeymoon when she went to Sonoma (I swear I didn’t crash their honeymoon…it was a short slumber party the night before their flight home!). California has been full of really, really good times and memories.

So while it’ll be sad to drive off and leave California behind, the Mr. and I have a great adventure ahead. Because we scoff at normalcy, our adventure starts with a month of us being “homeless.” As you read this today, we’ve already embarked on our journey East and have now stopped in Kansas and Missouri to visit our families while my husband has the time off. Thankfully, the day job and FBG can all be done on my trusty laptop, so my days will be filled with work while my nights will be spent enjoying family and friends without the frenzy we usually feel during holiday visits. I plan to take some of the lessons from my training sessions to keep working “hard enough” and not lose my workout momentum during this crazy time. Then we’ll head on a fun (and hopefully relaxing) vacation to the Bahamas before embarking on the last legs of our drive to our final destination and new home.

And to those of you wondering where I’m landing: New Jersey, baby. No, I probably won’t be ending up on the Real Housewives any time soon, but I will be close enough to “The City,” (this time the Big Apple) that hopefully I’ll be able to try out and report to you when newfangled fitness trends desperately need a guinea pig. It’ll be a new adventure. I’ll make sure to pack a coat. —Erin

Comments

1. Mary Sailors says

What a cool adventure!! I love the idea of doing something so life changing…good luck and have fun!!

2. Kristen @ Simply Savor says

Best of luck with the move and welcome to the East Coast!! can't wait to read about the new NYC fitness trends you'll try :)

3. Tish says

dude i have NO clue where the emotional tears are coming from but this kinda choked me up a bit.

did you get sad saying bye to your totally awesome trainor?

the west coast will miss you fbg!

4. Elle says

ooohh we've done a few of those major cross country moves! good luck! How lucky that your job can go with you anywhere!

5. Susi says

Well the west coast will surely miss you. Have fun on your travels and hope settling into Jersey goes smoothly too. Good luck!

6. Karla says

Good luck with the move Erin! In case you want a move-in break, the Fitness Mind, Body & Spirit awards are coming up this Saturday in NYC and Bob Harper will be there! :)

7. Bella says

OMG! Welcome to New Jersey, Erin! I'm from north jersey (for another week at least… off to the UK for school next week :D ) anyway I've been here all my life, and I'm positive you'll adjust soon enough. Northern California is pretty close to jersey weather anyway (from what I experienced when I went to san fan a year and a half ago)

I hope you enjoy your time here :)

8. FatFitnessFood says

Good luck with your new adventure. Me and my husband are moving back to southern CA in a couple of months after living in Ireland for a couple of years so I can relate for sure.

Enjoy your road trip!

9. Dorie says

We have done the "homelessness" between cross country moves twice, and both times were wonderful adventures. Enjoy your in-between time! Best wishes on your move and getting settled in NJ!

10. katgirl_9538 says

good luck erin, i am so jealous i wish i was going to the bahamas! :) best wishes for your move and travel, hope everything goes smoothly for you!!

11. Jenn says

Welcome to New Joisey! I moved to Sussex county four years ago, after being a New Yawker my whole life. Hope you have a safe trip, and I hope you love the East Coast!