★FitStars: Pussycat Dolls’ Creator Robin Antin!
We’ve been known to enjoy a Pussycat Dolls’ song now and again, so when we heard that PCD creator Robin Antin was creating a dance workout DVD, we were psyched. If you’ve never heard of Robin Antin or have never experienced the joy of watching an entire day of “The Search for the Next Doll,” I’m sorry.
Let me fill you in on some PCD history. Robin started the group in 1995 as a burlesque troupe based in Los Angeles. After attracting serious attention (and the likes of Christina Applegate and Gwen Stefani who actually performed on stage with the Dolls back in the day), Antin got with Interscope Records in 2004, and the troupe was transformed into a music group that has since sold more than seven million records and charted several hit songs.
Robin is almost 50 and is in rockin’ good shape, as you can see. She credits dance for her body and energy and wanted to share it with the world, hence the workout DVD. And this FitStars. We totally were game to learn more about the DVD and her secrets for being—and as you’ll learn—feeling sexy. Girlfriend has it going on! Come on…”don’t cha” want to learn more?
- FBG: Why did you decide to do a workout DVD? What inspired you?
- RA: After dancing my whole life, I wanted to inspire people to learn how to dance in a fun and simple way, and get the body of a dancer.
- FBG: Because of the Pussycat Dolls reality show, you’re used to being on TV. How is being on camera for TV different than filming a workout DVD? Is it harder to instruct regular people to dance at home than it is to choreograph stars?
- RA: The challenge was breaking it down enough so anyone can learn the moves. But I took my time for those who don’t have any dance experience and enjoyed the process. My message is the same….inside every woman is a Pussycat Doll.
- FBG: How do you go about finding that inner Pussycat Doll?
- RA: Start with confidence. To own the body that you’ve been born with. I always say, “love your love handles,” but just tone them up. Dancing is a great form of self-expression. I wake up every morning with the attitude that I want to feel my best, look my best and be my best.
- FBG: You’ve worked with some big names, like Christina Applegate, Paris Hilton, No Doubt and Pink. Who has been the most fun to work with? Who surprised you the most?
- RA: All of these woman are amazing and inspiring. I have to say, Gwen Stefani surprised me…with no dance experience, she learned the moves and found her “inner doll” right there before my very eyes. Love her!
- FBG: There have been rumors that the Pussycat Dolls eat pretty few calories. How much truth is there to it and how do the pressures of Hollywood affect you and your dancers?
- RA: We all work out so much that we need to eat more to keep up our energy. So there you have it, the rumors are untrue.
- FBG: What are some of your personal challenges with being a choreographer? What are some of your road blocks?
- RA: Always staying ahead of the game and staying true to the style that I love so much as a dancer and choreographer. Not following trends but being a trendsetter.
- FBG: You have a lot on your plate, girl! With choreographing, shows and a huge business, how do you limit your stress? What’s your best stress-reducing workout?
- RA: Dance class is my stress reliever. I take a really fun dance class at Equinox with a guy name Allan, where you can also find my Pussycat Dolls workout dance class…soon to come!
- FBG: What’s the best advice you’ve ever been giving about living your best, most healthy life?
- RA: Stress can age you and inhibit weight loss. I try to live my life stress-free. Relax, take deep breaths and get lots of massages!
- FBG: Any parting words or advice for our Fit Bottomed Girls’ readers?
- RA: I hope you work out to my DVD, so we can all have fit bottoms together!
Dance and get regular massages? I think I can do that. Thanks for the great interview, Robin. And, dear readers, check back tomorrow for an official review of Robin’s PCD workout DVD and my earnest—yet entertaining—attempts at locating my inner Doll! —Jenn