If you work in a cubicle and spend most days sitting at your computer, you know how tense your shoulders can get and how uncomfortable carpal tunnel can be. Take these tips from the Sports Club/LA’s SportsMed team to optimize your work environment and make the days spent at your desk a little more comfy.
5 Tips for a User-Friendly Workstation
- Maintain an upright posture while sitting back in your chair for optimal back support with head, shoulders, and hips aligned directly over themselves.
- Your chair should be high enough for the elbows and hips to be parallel to the ground with your feet resting firmly on the floor.
- The top of the monitor should be at eye level. Add a document holder if necessary to maintain upright head and neck alignment at all times.
- To avoid shearing the neck forward or eye strain, position your monitor no farther than arm’s length away.
- The keyboard should be on a flat surface to allow shoulders to be relaxed with elbows held no more than 1-2 inches from the sides of the body. Wrists and forearms should be straight and perpendicularly aligned to the body. Position your mouse next to and at the same level of your keyboard.
Just think how productive you’ll be when you’re super comfortable! —Erin