Are You Comfortable at the Gym?

woman flexing muscles

Credit: SashaW

Earlier this week Jackie Warner gave us some great tips on feeling comfortable at the gym and following proper exercise etiquette. I remember the first time I was at a gym, I was a bit freaked—all that huge, scary equipment! But as time went on, I learned how to use it, and I refused to be intimated by the loud, grunting dudes in the heavy weights area (especially since many of them didn’t know what the heck they were doing with bad form and all). But how about you these days?

Jenn

Can’t see the poll? Try this.

Comments

1. says

I didn’t at first. I would work out wearing a giant hoodie to hide my body. As I started losing weight I slowly became more and more comfortable and because I started figuring out what I was doing!

At the gym I go to now I am totally comfortable in the cardio area, but the weights area is super intimidating!

2. Jamie says

It depends on the gym. I don’t belong to a large fitness center type gym – it’s a small sports training center, so I get totally intimidated in some of the chain gyms and clubs. It’s still fun to try new ones though – even if they scare me! But I lovelovelove our little-ish 2nd home of a gym!

3. says

If you’re intimidated at a gym because of the equipment, spend the extra cash and invest in a personal trainer for the first session or so. They will show you how to use the machines that look like torturing devices. And generally, once you do this for one gym, you will know how to use all the equipment in any other gym. Or, if you want to save money, bring a knowledgable friend with you!

4. kassia says

i use the ymca as my gym. sometimes i feel intimidated by the bigger guys there but i just go about doing my thing. the staff is really warm and welcoming with questions even if it seems silly or so common that i am sure they get asked the same one 5x a day LOL. its very laid back overall and its nice to hit the pool after a tough workout

5. says

my gym is in my apartment building, so it’s pretty small (9 pieces of cardio plus weight room.) often it’s just me and a few guys on weights, and when they start grunting it can get EXTREMELY uncomfortable. they’re EXTREMELY loud and, well, to be frank, it sounds like bedroom noises. i’ve often thought about trying to grunt louder so they know what it feels like, but my husband says it’ll just turn into a competition.

6. says

I was a Kinesiology major so I’m very comfortable in a gym – with two young children at home, a full-time job & a work-a-holic hubby I just don’t get there as often as I would like. Instead I’ve slowly built up an arsenal of free weights and lift at home.

7. says

I’m comfortable with the cardio machines and the free weights, but I still feel a little out of my element on the weight machines. I’m not a gym member right now anyway, although my hubby and I are talking about joining one. We really want to find a gym with a pool, although I am also intrigued by LA Boxing…

8. says

I’m totally comfortable with the cardio machines and free weight areas, but I’m totally nervous about using the cable machines.

When I’m in a new gym (or when my gym gets new equipment), I always seek out a friendly-looking employee and ask for a quick tutorial. They’ve always been happy to help out — they’d rather show me how to use it properly than deal with me after I’ve broken it (or myself). And usually, they seem kind of excited to help me learn something new!