The 10 Best Beginner Workout DVDs—Ever
We review a lot of workout DVDs. So we thought it was high-time that we put together a best-of workout DVD list for all the workout beginners out there. All of the following 10 exercise DVDs get the Fit Bottomed Girls thumbs up as appropriate for beginners (with lots of modifications shown and good instruction), and they’re actually fun to do!
Top 10 Beginner Workout DVDs
1. The Biggest Loser: Power Walk: We’re pretty much fans of the entire The Biggest Loser workout DVD line, and this DVD is no different. Led by Bob Harper (our favorite!), Power Walk is a low-impact one-mile indoor walking workout. And with four different workout option, it’s the perfect way to start moving that fine body of yours!
2. The Spark: Fit, Firm & Fired Up in 10 Minutes a Day: We love SparkPeople (obviously!), and I can personally vouch that the instructor in this workout DVD, Nicole, is amazing and knows her stuff. And with seven different 10-minute workouts, there’s no excuse not to squeeze a workout or two in your day!
3. Cardio for Beginners with Petra Kolber: This 65-minute cardio DVD with mix-and-match athletic and dance cardio sections seriously delivers. Petra is easy to follow, likable and she has an English accent. Bonus!
4. Marisa Tomei: Core & Curves: In our years reviewing workout DVDs, we’ve learned the hard way that not all celebrity workouts deliver. However, this one doesn’t fall into that trap! Marisa and fitness trainer, Key Son, lead you through the 60-minute Core & Curves DVD, which is broken down into a 20-minute, 15-minute and 10-minute segment. A mix of dance, Pilates and core, it’s a refreshing DVD that will make you feel like you’re working out with a good friend—Marisa is totally normal!
5. Bob Greene’s Total Body Makeover: Known best as Oprah’s trainer, this is the perfect strength-training workout DVD for beginners. There are eight short workouts included, and they all build on each other for a full 8-week program. If you want to start resistance training (and you should, it’s awesome for burning fat!), this is a great DVD to try!
6. Kim Lyons’ Start Fitness Now: Simply put, this is one of the best beginner fitness DVDs we’ve ever reviewed. The choreography is simple, you only need dumbbells, you have DVDs to progress to as you get more fit (it’s a three-part DVD series—start with disc one), and it’s fun. If you have diabetes, are pre-diabetic or find any high-impact movements too challenging, this DVD is yours for the trying!
7. EA SPORTS Active: Love gaming? You gottta try workout video game. It’s like having your very own personal trainer and then having access to hundreds of upper-body, lower-body, cardio and sports exercises. And it’s fun!
8. Element: AM and PM Yoga for Beginners: If you’re not into the gym scene or don’t like dance workouts, why not try something more Zen like yoga? This is our fave beginner yoga DVD. It teaches you basic yoga moves and is excellent at reducing stress. Ommm…
9. Bollywood Booty: Instructor Hemalayaa Behl is one of our favorites, and in this light hearted Bollywood workout DVD she gets you moving, laughing and having a great time. It’s the perfect way to burn some calories while not even realizing that you’re working out!
10. Yoga Booty Ballet: Light & Easy: The Yoga Booty Ballet workout DVD series was really popular a couple of years ago and with good reason—it’s really fun and it’s a good workout! Try the Light & Easy workout DVD that’s a mix of yoga, strength and dance. Love that booty!
Do you have a favorite workout DVD that always gets you moving and grooving in the fitness department? Tell us about it! —Jenn