While we don’t have to look fashionable when we work out (hell, some days I’m lucky to put shoes on), it’s certainly fun to wear cute fashion apparel. And these days, the fitness fashion gear is just as functional—if not more so—as strictly fashionable. And this fall, the fitness trends are fun, fun, fun and bright, bright, bright.
We recently tested two pieces from adidas’ TECHFIT line, which features bright colors, modern structural forms and techie materials that were specially crafted for women. First was the TECHFIT Quarter Zip Hoodie ($55), which we loved. You can see me wearing it in our circuit-training video, and it’s just the perfect autumn running top or get-to-the-gym-when-it’s-chilly layer. It keeps you dry, it has thumb holes, doesn’t ride up and the blue version of it is oh-so bright and cheery. We also tried the TECHFIT Bra ($25) in slime. Yes, you read that right—slime. (We kind of love it. Brings back happy Ghostbusters memories.) Super bright with plenty of support that doesn’t make you feel like you’re in a straitjacket, it also has a breathable mesh back that keeps you cool by wicking away sweat. Again, perfect for fall.
In addition to trying some of adidas’ new gear, we also got the dealio on fall fitness fashion trends from Kim Parker, director of women’s training at adidas. How cool of a job is that?! Read on for the latest fitness trends to rock this fall—along with major fall fitness fashion don’ts!
Fall Fitness Fashion Dos: Top 6 Trends
1. See the energy. The color story for fall is bold, powerful and energetic with graphics that provide dimension. We’re seeing a lot of translucent jackets with brights layered underneath for a pop of color.
2. Slim-fitting silhouettes are in. Reduced material provides full mobility for natural movement during your workout with zero distraction.
3. Let your body breathe. The trend in fabrics is all about climate control with mesh ventilation and breathable materials that allow your body to operate at the optimal temperature no matter what the weather. Another innovative technique in garment construction is wrapping seams, which help ensure the right amount of compression for a supportive fit that moves with your body.
4. Like layers. Layering is key for cold weather workouts, as is a fabric that keeps you dry. Workout gear with quick-dry or sweat-wicking properties will ensure you are comfortable in the elements, and will also prevent rashes and chafing. Cotton absorbs sweat and should be avoided as an inside layer for high-impact workouts.
5. Women in tights (and shorts)! If you’re self-conscious in leggings, a flattering look that is also a big trend we’re seeing this fall is layering shorts over longer tights. Go with a lightweight pair to make sure your body doesn’t overheat.
6. Details, details, details. It’s all in the details for fall, and built-in features you’ll find in apparel include pockets for media devices and thumb holes for a secure fit in long-sleeved garments.
Fall Fitness Fashion Don’ts: Top 4 No-Nos
1. Bag lady. Steer clear of baggy tees and sweatpants, which can get in the way of your workout.
2. Chafing. Stick with compression or fitted garments that cover those friction-prone areas.
3. Being uncomfortable. If you’re uncomfortable in compression or tight clothes, fitted garments are both flattering and functional and provide a bit more coverage.
4. Forgetting your sports bra. Finding the right sports bra is crucial—never forgo one! Find one with plenty of ventilation to keep you from overheating during workouts.