♪ FitHits: A Motivational Workout Songs Playlist
Oh, the wonder drug otherwise known as good ol’ fashioned motivational workout songs. It’s a beautiful thing. There’s a reason that clever Nike put a “power song” on its Nike + GPS App—that ish works! Some day researchers will gather in a tiny room and figure out what it is about hearing positive messages that pushes us to forget that we’ve just decided we can’t possibly go on…that we’ll die if we have to take one more step or swing one more kettlebell. Then that one song comes drifting in and, like the super-human comic-book character Venom, adrenaline comes pouring in and we’re on FIYA! That motivational workout song gets us every time.
We recently compiled the best motivational workout songs for a killer sweat session, no matter if you add all of the songs (for an almost hour-long workout!) or just a few good ol’ fashioned faves. Enjoy—and get ready to be powered up!
A Motivational Workout Songs Playlist
- Eye of the Tiger, Survivor: I know, I know. This is everyone’s go-to motivational workout song, but why fix it if it ain’t broken? If Rocky could power up for the ring using this song, then it’s good enough for us!
- Lose Yourself, Eminem: They say there’s a point in working out where you really can lose yourself in the moment and go into the ultimate zone. The zone seems kind of bad-ass, so anything that glorifies that kind of intensity works for me.
- Let’s Get it Started, Black Eyed Peas: And running, running! The Black Eyed Peas are telling you to run! They’re with you! If that doesn’t give you a little squirt of “You can do it!” then I don’t know what will.
- Holding Out for a Hero, Bonnie Tyler: The ultimate montage song can be your ultimate-training song. This song screams for you to do your best. We’ll ignore the fact that she keeps clamoring on about a dude. You’re the hero/shero that’s racing on the thunder and rising with the heat.
- You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet, Bachman-Turner Overdrive: This song is for the fools who thought you were wrapping your workout up. When you go in for that extra sweat, make sure you’re singing it loud and proud…they really haven’t seen nothing yet!
- Proud Mary, Tina Turner: This woman’s got energy to boot. Whenever it comes on you automatically want to move your body as fast as it will go. Now that’s my kind of motivation!
- Break My Stride, Matthew Wilder: Maybe your workout motivation comes from getting tough on the competition. Don’t let ’em hold you down! You’ve-got-to-keep-on-MOVING!
- Fighter, Christina Aguilera: This is up there in the workout-anthem range if you ask me. I don’t know if it’s her booming voice or the gangsta lyrics…whatever it is, it works.
- Come on Eileen, Dexy’s Midnight Runners: You don’t have to be named Eileen to dig this song. I love how there’s a moment where you can slow down and catch your breath, and then those darn Midnight Runners go speed the song up with awesome energy, forcing you to give that last lap all you’ve got.
- Lose Control, Missy Elliott: Losing control (see song No. 2) and going buck-buck during your workout works! Feel the endorphins, and let them do with you what they will.
- We are the Champions, Queen: A Queen song had to make the cut. Pretty soon it’ll be an FBG Golden Rule. You don’t have to be at the end of your workout to listen to this bad boy. The minute you make the decision to move, you’ve won. See how easy that was?
- Just Keep Swimming, Dori from Finding Nemo: Note: This is a personal workout motivational song. FBG Jenn and I sang this dang song for at least half of our marathon race, and it worked! Just keep going/swimming/running…Gotta love those darn Disney songs that just get lodged in your head—at least the ones with messages that tell you to keep on pushing forward.
- Walking on Sunshine, Katrina and the Waves: I go bat-shat when this song comes on. I think if you can start to associate working out with walking on sunshine, then you’ve done a very good thing, fitties. Don’t it feel good?!
- I’m so Excited, The Pointer Sisters: It’s hard not to be excited when this one comes on. So, come on, get excited!
- Move if You Wanna, Mims: This song has just enough gangster charm to get you off the couch and moving with swag. If anyone asks what got you to start moving, you can say that darling rapper Mims did. Instant cool points.
Do you have a motivational workout song that pushes you to the brink of awesome? Music-hungry ears would like to know! —Tish