9 Tips for Working Out in the Morning (Without It Being Miserable)

Working Out in the Morning: 9 Tips

Show yourself some self love when starting early morning workouts. Credit: le vent le cri

7. Ease into working out in the morning. If you’re not used to working out in the morning, it’s probably not the best idea to try to do it five days in a row, especially if you’re getting up an hour or more earlier than you’re used to. Try gradually waking up earlier and earlier, and don’t be afraid to get up for early morning workouts every other day, just so that you have some sleep recovery time in the beginning. Yes, sleep experts recommend getting up and going to bed at the same time every day, but mentally, it’s far easier to get up early a few days a week than it is every day of the week. You feel me, ladies?

Comments

1. Stephanie says

Morning workouts work best for me, because I usually can find 10 million things to do AFTER a long day at work, and it’s usually not exercise.

It was a hard habit for me to get into, but now that I do it, it’s a way of life. I actually DO wake up at the same time every day (even weekends) because it really does make it easier. Staying up late one night, but going to bed early the next, or trying to get to bed early when I’ve slept in? Forget it. I need consistency, and this works for me.

I’ve also used Facebook to help get me out of bed. Posting that I will the night before is helpful. I’m also FB friends with my Pilates trainer and one of my cycling instructors. If they know where to find me to harrass me for sleeping, I’d best get out of bed!

2. says

Great article.

I’m a morning exerciser. And to get myself going on those early, wet and cold mornings..as I’m getting ready I like to listen to music on my iPod. Adrenalin is pumping and I’m ready to run! :)
    There are many benefits of working out in the morning. #1 for me is, I have free evenings and if something comes up during the day I don’t feel guilty staying late at work or going for dinner since all my daily exercises have been done.

3. says

Great tips. I love to exercise but waking up early morning just to do so sometimes is not that great since I have to wake up very early. Still, I’ll keep in mind the tips above.

4. Amanda says

I wouldn’t say that I’m the greatest at being consistent with my early morning workouts. I probably have to go back to having my alarm clock across the room and physically getting out of bed. What helps me if getting a good quality sleep (I recently purchased a new mattress and I’m working on a finding the right pillow). The more rested I am, the more likely I am to wake up to work out.

Also, I have found that setting a small incentive for doing at least 3 days a week helps (like purchase a video, new workout clothes, etc).

5. kitty says

I am the one who has a 100 excused not to workout after work!! I LOVE MORNING WORKOUTS!!!

I agree–no matter what kind of day you have—your workout is already done!!

6. Liz M says

I am definitely NOT a morning person and working out in the morning has always been something i’ve wanted to do but never been able to get myself up in the mornings to go to the gym. After work, I always had the excuse that I was too tired to go to the gym.

For about 2 months now I have worked out in the morning 5 days and week and I absolutely LOVE it! It wakes me up and I feel like it gives me so much more energy! I should have done this ages ago! Granted, I am only working out at home and for about 20 minutes, but it’s the best way to start my morning!!

7. says

I workout in the early morning three times per week. It is always hard to get out of bed, but I love that moment in the later afternoon when I catch myself wondering, “Did I workout yet today?” Oh yea! I already did! Woot!” The only time I might suggest not working out in the morning is if you really REALLY are NOT a morning person. Because then, no matter how much you KNOW that it’s good for you, it’s possible you won’t enjoy it, and you’ll dread it, and you’ll start avoiding it. Find the time that works BEST for YOU!

8. says

Great tips! I love the first one though because it can actually make a big difference. It kind of goes along with that saying “fake it til you make it” sort of. You just have to have a better attitude about it, or at least pretend to at first, and it will come with time.

9. allie says

thank you for the tips!
    i have been working out in the afternoons (6 pm to 7:30 pm) for almost a year by now and i absolutely love it! but im trying to do it on the morning on saturdays since i dont have to go to school those days, and this tips really help since i HATE waking up, and in the night i have so much energy :)

10. says

I went went for my first ever early morning run this morning http://wp.me/p1Vei5-fR) and I got a new PR!!!! With my new confidence and your tips, I think I’ll make this a habit!!!! This was just what I needed to read today!

11. says

Those are great tips! My only problem is that when my alarm goes off I just don’t give a darn and nothing but a fire is going to get me out of bed! I wish it was easier because the times I have actually done it in the morning have been great. I’m fully embracing tip #9 and figure that as long as it’s getting done it doesn’t matter when, but I still hope to conquer mornings one of these days!

12. Haris Moin says

guys i have a question…. i m doing exercise n running in morning…but i’ve a problem i.e i go to a nearest park for running(as their is a walking track) ,but i go on my bike therefore i have to face the cool breeze on my bike…so when i return back from park,as my body becomes hot,,so when i drive my bike the cold wind puts great effect on me….i wanna ask that is it injurious or bad for my health or body muscles???? help me plzzzz……….

13. Shannon says

I have been working out at 5 am during the week for the past month. Knowing that no matter what the day brings, I have done something for me, makes me feel energized.