An Interview with Ellen Barrett—And Her Fat-Burning Breathing Workout!
Could your best and fittest self be just a breath away? Ellen Barrett thinks so. Workout DVD creator (we’ll review one of her new Ellen Barrett Live titles tomorrow, in fact!), book author and all-around awesome chick, Ellen gets that being fit has as much to do with the mind and the spirit as the body. So when she offered to share her recent video on the power of breath in regards to weight loss and health, we were psyched to share it with you. Read on for a short Q&A with Ellen on the importance of proper breathing, followed by the six-minute workout that you can do at home anytime you need some energy!
Interview with Ellen Barrett
- FBG: Most of us don’t think about breathing. How can we improve our breath?
- EB: I think today, as opposed to even 10 years ago, stress has infiltrated not just our bodies but also our breath, making it tight, strained and not as abundant, so the best thing you can do for your breath is to relax in general.
- FBG: What gains can we expect from better, deeper breathing?
- EB: Better, deeper breathing make for more oxygen in the system which makes us feel more alive.
- FBG: Can breathing take the place of a workout?
- EB: If your goal is to energize, then breathing can be an energizing workout. If your goal is to de-stress, then breathing can do that, too.
- FBG: You have a pre-schooler at home, so it’s safe to say you’re always on the go. How do you keep your energy going when you’re sleep deprived?
- EB: I’ve learned to use my breath as a tool to be in the moment because if you exclusively focus on your inhale and exhale, you can’t be anywhere else but “here.”
- FBG: What workouts do you do when you’re tired or don’t have a lot of time?
- EB: One of my favorite workouts is Fusion Flow because it’s so fluid and “soft”—feels like a wakeful massage. I’m also a fan of restorative yoga and long soaks in the tub.
- FBG: What was the inspiration behind your two new Ellen Barrett Live DVDs?
- EB: Honestly, I felt that there was/is a strong need for workout DVDs to do two things simultaneously: burn fat and de-stress. People today need to lose weight AND de-stress, not just one or the other.
- FBG: How are these workout DVDs different than others that you’ve done?
- EB: I’ve always been genuine in my DVDs, but in the new ones, Power Fusion and Grace+Gusto, I’m completely uncensored! They both have nice sequencing and just enough repetitions to keep you invigorated.
- FBG: Anything else you’d like to add?
- EB: Be kind to yourself. Workouts shouldn’t be torture or make you feel “not good enough.” On the contrary, they should lift you up!