Does Pink Slime Freak You Out, Too?

pink slime burger

Is there pink slime in that burger? Credit: pointnshoot

Have you guys heard about this whole pink slime in ground beef thing? Ew. Just ew. According to recent reports, the cheap meat filler is estimated to be in 70 percent of the ground beef sold at supermarkets and up to 25 percent of American hamburger patties. Yeah, that’s a lot of meat.

While the beef industry is saying pink slime—which they call Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB)—is totally fine to eat, I’d still rather get my meat from a source I trust. The idea of eating re-purposed pieces of meat that are sprayed with ammonia is far from appealing to me. (Not to mention that pink slime/LFTB only used to be used in dog food and cooking oil, but since the recession has been used in our meat to keep prices down.) Throw in the fact that it’s almost impossible to know if the ground beef you buy at the grocery store has pink slime in it or not since there’s nothing on the package to indicate otherwise (unless your meat is stamped USDA Organic, which means it’s pure meat with no filler)? And I just get the heebie-jeebies. Oh, and to add insult to injury, pink slime is being served in many school cafeterias, despite already being banned by fast-food joints like McDonald’s, Burger King and Taco Bell.

But what about you? Does pink slime freak you out, or do you think the whole thing is overblown? Or is it a moot point because you’re a vegetarian or vegan? Sound off! —Jenn

Comments

1. Yum Yucky says

this is why I buy organic from the Amish farmer’s market. At this point, we have to put the responsibility in our hands to both call these slimy people out and not buy their food. This whole thing is sickening to me. GAH!

2. Michelle Thayer says

I was shocked the first time I learned about pink slime – it’s disgusting to think that it is allowed in our foods.

3. Stephanie says

I am a vegetarian, and things like this are the main reason why I became one. So much of the industrial food process is…kind of disgusting.

4. Lenora says

I learned about how they treat the animals and pink slime about two years ago in my microbiogy class. We were asking what was in our food and the professor showed us a tasteful film. It was very graphic from cutting cows with chainsaws behind the neck, still alive mind you. I have started eating more fish and less beef and chicken. Fish is really no better because they give them color pellets and grow them in farms giving them god knows what. They wonder why America has an obesity problem. Our bodies cannot keep up with these chemicals and antibiotics.

5. Alyssa says

I’m also vegetarian, although my kids and husband are not. It gets harder and harder to know what to feed my kids!

6. D says

Didn’t hear about this until today I went to bake some cupcakes at my grandmothers house and she told me about it and then I came home and ate a burger. HA! Oops.

7. George says

This is pretty horrifying. Especially your comment about the recession. It’s scary to think the quality of our food is being readjusted without the public being notified.

8. Jonathan Aluzas says

Freaked out by it; yes. Surprised; no. The regulatory agencies charged with the duty of protecting American health seem to be much more inclined to protect American industry; in this case, the factory-farming industry. The plain fact is this; the meat we eat in this country is, by and large, foul. The manner in which it it raised, housed, fed, medicated, slaughtered, processed and packaged in unclean and unsafe. I believe it to be a major contributor to chronic disease. The alternatives? Limit the amount of meat (ANY kind of animal flesh) that you consume, buy only the freshest, cleanest meat possible when you do buy it, and fill up on organic produce!