From Tish

Trading in My Jazz Hands for Callused Ones

Jerry Seinfeld's "Man Hand" is in full effect!

Callused hands…I throw a fit when I get to the part of my strength workout when it’s dead-lift time because I know some skin is gonna tear. I get an attitude, actually. Call me girly, but I like having soft hands, dammit. I see nothing wrong with that. I’m a tall, gargantuan woman—people have referred to me in the past as a boybian, tomboy, straight-up dude, so I hold on to the little girly things I do have. And now my lovely girl hands are being taken away from me.

I have callused hands, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I wear the gloves my boyfriend gave to me for my birthday (yes, we’re weird like that), but it doesn’t matter. My hands are still getting rough and tough. I already gave up pedicures and toe-primping for my running. But giving up my pretty jazz-hand pride? That has been a bit more difficult.

I love working out. I realize most people are proud of what a good workout does to their body—and I do enjoy the positive perks of a good sweat or some heavy weight-lifting. But calluses and blisters as a badge of hard-core honor? I just don’t really jump over the moon for it. Call me crazy, but I don’t like that kind of pain…or the eyesores!

What about you? Do you have any vain reasons that cause you to grumble just a tiny bit over your workouts? —Tish

Comments

1. Summer says

I completely understand! I am taking a rock climbing class, and my hands are getting all sorts of callused. But on the other hand, and despite my fear of heights, I’m reaching new climbing goals. So yeah, I agree that calluses can be a little bittersweet…

2. Jenny says

Hey girl, I do CrossFit and my hands literally get rips after some workouts. A friend of mine has developed a cream that treats the tears, and then if you use a heel shaver (I know, gross) on the calluses, you’ll be nice and smooth again! The cream is Winnie’s Miracle Cream. (winniesmiraclecream.com). Oh, and try alternating grip on your dead lifts, it might keep the rub to a minimum!

3. Colleen says

I crossfit and you don’t really know about my calluses as I take care of ‘em! What you do is get one of those Ped-Eggs (yeah, like what you take the rough skin off your heels with!) and rub it across the calluses of your hand after a shower (so the skin is softer & easier to work with) lightly then moisturize. I CF five times a week, so I use the Ped-Egg twice a week & moisturize like crazy … you should feel the hands of our box’s trainer — really nice! he’s the one that got me started with the ped-egg & he uses Corn Husker’s lotion (I use an organic hand cream) … you’ll have baby smooth hands in no time & won’t risk rips!!

4. Maria @ The Fitness Girl Kitchen says

I am with you girl! I so laughed with this post because it is like you are a sister from another mother. I am tall too (6’1″) and have been called everything from tomboy to amazon (oh, that term really makes me cringe). I have given up on pedicures too because of running. No sense in wasting that money. Instead I got me a home pedicure mini spa so I can at least pretend I am getting one.

5. digamba says

What am I doing wrong…I have calluses, but my skin doesn’t tear. Do I just need to lift more?

6. FBG Tish says

You all rock lol! Love the suggestions AND the fact that treating them helps to prevent future rips. Helps me feel less like a princess and more like someone with valid rippage concerns. (Yes, I made that word up.)

7. Joy says

Chalk also really helps for DL’s, and I second the alternating grip. I have callouses from lifting, but since i take pretty good care of em, they’re more like little pads rather than big crusty uglies. :)