6 Ways to Feel Confident in Your Swimsuit
Have you ever felt happy and free on the beach? Where you could simply stand there—half-naked in your swimsuit—and feel not only comfortable but also confident? Where every time you move, you weren’t trying to cover up your “problem areas” or sucking your stomach in? Or, worst of all, you weren’t scanning the beach crowd to see how you stack up to all of the other beach beauties sunning themselves? Yeah, not many of us can rock a swimsuit without some serious unhealthy mental chatter.
Oftentimes we do it without realizing it. We’re bombarded with so many images of women who are “beautiful” in magazines that we think we have to live up to that perfect ideal in order to be worthy of self-love. But, that’s total hooey. And, honestly, sometimes we just have to call BS on our own thoughts. Because no matter what size or shape you are, you can feel good in your own skin. It just takes some practice and some serious self-lovin’. Read on for our best tips on how to feel confident in your swimsuit this summer!
6 Tips on How to Feel Confident in Your Swimsuit
1. Stop the comparison trap. Let’s face it, unless you’re going to the Olympics, you’re probably not the “best in the world” at anything. And that’s okay. This weird quest many of us have to have the perfect abs or legs like Jennifer Aniston’s is doing nothing but making us miss out on embracing the unique beauty that we each have. Why waste your time comparing yourself to others or worrying about how you stack up to those around you? Run your own race. Don’t look to others to give you validation. Define your beauty and your success for yourself—after all, the one thing you are best at is being YOU. Read more on that tricky comparison trap here!
2. Practice unconditional self-love. Unless you’re a graduate of FBG Life, you’re probably not totally aware of the chatter that goes on in your brain. You know, the stuff that says “You’re too fat to wear that,” or “You’ll never lose the weight. You don’t have the self control.” Our inner dialogue has a huge effect on our confidence. So start paying attention to what yours is saying. If it’s being a hater, take note, and try to replace every negative thought with three things you like about yourself and your body. Which leads us to our next tip on how to feel confident in your swimsuit…
3. Write down what you love about yourself. Each day, take five minutes out to repair your relationship with yourself. (It is the most important one, after all!) Write down at least five things that you have goin’ on. From physical attributes like beautiful eyes and strong calves to personality traits that rock like being a good friend and having a kind heart, believe me, you can find much, much more than five a day. And if you get stuck, think of what a loved one would say about you! (Sometimes, I like to think about what my dog would say about me—don’t be afraid to make it silly!)
4. Get strong. Getting active and lifting weights is a huge confidence booster. So find an activity you love to do, set goals for yourself, and do it. Not only does that help you to boost your self worth, but when you’re moving regularly, you are more in touch with your body and are much more appreciative of what it can do.
5. Be a role model. As women, we have a responability (at least I think so!) to the next generation. So whether you have a daughter, a niece or another young girl in your life (or even if you don’t, believe me, at the beach and pool, little girls have a keen eye!), be a role model for her. Through what you say and how you act, teach her that real woman of all sizes and shapes are beautiful. Don’t complain about this or that on your body; strut what you’ve got and show her that confidence is the No. 1 factor when it comes to real beauty.
6. Laugh. It’s hard to be down on yourself when you’re cracking up. So try to have as much fun as you can. When you’re in your swimsuit, turn on the tunes that make you feel good, splash around in the water, try a new sport or game and just have a good time. Confidence is beautiful—and confidence plus happiness makes you simply radiant.
Want to take your health, happiness and confidence to even higher levels? Join me for FBG Life this September. Our six-week healthy living and weight-loss program helps women of all shapes and sizes break their obsession with the scale and empowers them step-by-step into a healthier mindset and way of life. Taught online in a group coaching format so that you have the support of other women like you, we’ll conquer emotional eating, find workouts that help you reach your goals and tap into that confident self that lives within you. The class is limited to 25 and when you register before August 14, you can save 20 percent when you use the coupon code ERKN4QWP. So don’t delay! For more details and to register, go here!
So tell us, how confident do you feel in your swimsuit? How do you tap into your true beauty within? —Jenn