From Erin

The Health Food Item I’ll Never Try Again

water glass

I’ll take my water straight, thank you very much. Credit: gfrphoto

A couple of years ago I tried coconut water for the first time. My personal trainer at the time raved about it and gave me one of hers to try. So after a particularly grueling workout, I tried it. I can’t remember what kind it was, what brand. It doesn’t matter. It was hate at first sip.

Even though the first sip repulsed me, I thought,”It’s coconut water. I like coconuts! I like water! Surely it’s not that bad.” So I choked down a few more swigs. And then threw it away. And then mourned the fact that I didn’t have a beverage because the grueling workout made me thirsty.

Cut to several years later, me at the Sweat AC expo. I was roaming around the health and fitness booths when I came across a coconut water display. Thinking that surely I have matured in a few years and my taste buds would now certainly understand what everyone was talking about, I got a sample of coconut water. I don’t know what kind it was, what brand. It doesn’t matter. I still hated it. Seriously, if it wouldn’t have been completely unprofessional of me to gag like Lloyd Christmas, I would have. I couldn’t even finish my tiny sample.

Brussels sprouts? Yes. Kale? Sign me up. But coconut water? A big fat no-thank-you-never-again-please. I don’t know what it is that so offends me about it; it doesn’t even have that strong of a taste. It just tastes…wrong. That’s all I can say.

Are you a coconut-water lover? Or hate it like I do? Let’s start a coconut-water fight! (It wouldn’t hurt as bad as a coconut fight.) —Erin

Comments

1. Tuba says

I agree with you about cocnut water.
    And I also hate carrot juice. I don’t know what’s wrong with it, i mean i love carrots but the juice? It was the fear of my childhood (my mum made us drink that, and sometimes mixed it with apple juice for more nutrition). I gave a chance to it again when i was in collage, but no. Completely horrible!! Eating them whole is better anyway.

2. Chef Amber Shea says

Please try it fresh out of a young Thai coconut at least once! The boxed/canned kinds taste NOTHING like the real thing. The one good storebought option is Harmless Harvest brand – it’s bottled RAW (which makes all the difference) and tastes completely fresh. Give the real thing a shot! :)

3. Joanna @ Running Places says

Well, I suppose it is perfectly natural for us to have aversions to different things. But I grew up picking up coconuts in the yard and having my dad drill holes in them so I could stick a straw in and sip away. So, yeah, to me, coconut water is a trip back to childhood!

4. Yvette says

HATE HATE HATE it!! From the first minute I tasted it. Like you, I thought the new fancy stuff might taste better but, also like you, I still hate it. For the life of me I don’t get all the hype.

5. Jen says

I can’t stand it, but if you put it in a smoothie with some acidic fruit and some kale (mmmm kale) you don’t taste it but you get all the natural electrolyte goodness :)

6. Catherine says

I was a little freaked out with my first sip, but I’ve gotta say, once I got over the initial weirdness I feel in love. Now I crave it ALL the time. My husband was the same way so he started drinking the fruit flavors first but now drinks the plain too. You can’t help if you don’t like it though!

7. Keetha says

I’ve never tried it. I hear glowing things about it but it just sounds weird.

I tried to do the Whole30. I think the whipped coconut milk in my coffee was the worst part! It made my coffee look so pretty: frothy and creamy, like a latte, only the taste was … different. I went with black coffee rather than the coconut milk.

8. Ashley says

Visit anywhere in Asia and ask somebody to get you a free YOUNG coconut from a tree. It’s DELICIOUS and it’s one of the best hydrators in the world (Usain Bolt swears by it)

9. Sheryl says

I’ve added both fresh coconut water and the raw bottled kind to smoothies. You can also make coconut water ice cubes and use those in smoothies. By substituting coconut water/cubes for plain water/cubes, you add electrolytes, enzymes, and minerals to your smoothie.

10. Pri says

I hate bottled, canned, packaged coconut water! But should try the real deal before you say ‘never’! Tender coconut water is slightly sweet and is refreshing. Not so fresh coconut water will for sure taste rancid.
    So next time you hop on a plane to Hawaii or any tropical place, try some fresh coconut water!

11. Stephanie says

Ugh. I am so on the same page as you. I feel like somehow I can’t receive my healthy credentials because I don’t like it. But for the life of me, I cannot understand why people like it so much. Blech!