From Kristen

Two-a-Days: Not Just for Football Players Anymore

twoadaysI’ve noticed something interesting lately. If it comes to light that I’ve done a 90-minute workout, nobody really bats an eye. I mean, we don’t all want to spend 90 minutes at the gym every day or anything, but it’s not something that really turns a lot of heads.

However, if I do part of that workout in the morning and the other half at night, all of a sudden I get a bunch responses along the lines of, “Holy cow. Are you doing two-a-days now?”

Here’s the thing. In doing my triathlon training, I have some days on the schedule where I try to get in a couple of things. If it’s, say, a bike-to-run brick, that’s something I want to do all at once because the point is to get my legs used to running after being on the bike. But, if I’m doing a swim or a run and some strength work or Pilates, it might work better for me to get part of it done before work and fit in the rest right before dinner. Shoot, even if I’m trying to get some running distance in during the week, doing a few miles in the morning and then some speedwork at night can be a really helpful solution.

I honestly don’t see this setup as any more hardcore than, say, getting up early to hit a Spin class or making a point to get in a long run on the weekends. It’s just a matter of being dedicated enough to make sure you’re getting the things done that you want to get done, you know?

Have you ever worked two-a-day workouts into your schedule? Were you training for something, or was it just a matter of fitting the workouts you like into the time available? —Kristen

Comments

1. Melissa says

I just wrote about this! I’m training for a half-marathon now just two months after giving birth, so my “two-a-days” involve a walk with the new babe and then a run when my husband gets home from work. Still, I feel great!

2. Mik of the Plains says

I will sometimes do two-a-days. It’s not a throwback to pre-season training, but more I come home frustrated from work or it’s just too darn nice out to sit in the house!

Usually my afternoon workout is a quick 5 K run or a swift 10 mile ride on the bike. Nothing big.

I also usually do cardio in the AM and resistance in the PM…so does that make me a chronic two-a-dayer? Or simply a really busy working Mommy. :-) Either way, It Feels Good!

3. Seth says

Love two-a-days… on occasion. My current approach, German volume training, would kill me if I used them right now.

4. hemrid reviews says

Everybody may have not time do gym in long time. But he can do different types of exercise includes in his work. Such as walking, running etc. Thanks for sharing a good post.

5. missRBit says

I agree! I do weights training and then pilates after dinner one day a week. On weekends because I have more time I very often end up fitting in “two a days”. One could be a weights session and then a circuit at the beach or a game of tennis. I don’t see anything wrong with it? Good work for being so dedicated!

6. Jessica says

Hell yes! I love two-a-days! I go to the gym on my lunch breaks at work, so I can only get in about 30 minutes of strength training, and I have to do my cardio in the evenings (and I like to do a couple more sets of my afternoon exercises to really drive it home too!). Otherwise, I would never be able to fit it all in!

7. Naomi @fitnomes says

My current training schedule often means that I just can’t fit my whole session in in the morning – I’ll get through as much as I can and then do the remainder in the afternoon after work. This happens maybe twice a week.

Same reaction from the colleagues – wow, you’re going to the gym again?! (But also have a lot of the same people saying how impressed they are with my transformation this year and asking me for advice on what they could do).