Besides being like crazy beautiful, Kearran Giovanni stars as detective Amy Sykes, the ambitious undercover police detective and military veteran, in the new hit TNT drama Major Crimes. Born in Louisiana and raised in Texas, Giovanni studied musical theater at the University of Cincinnati’s College Conservatory of Music and was also a student within the Alvin Ailey Summer Intensive (so she can dance!). Giovanni has performed in awesome roles like Catch Me If You Can, Sweet Charity and Back on Broadway (alongside Hugh Jackman), along with starring in One Life to Live. And we recently got to chat with her! Turns out Ms. Giovanni is a yogi, healthy mother and foodie!
Interview With Kearran Giovanni of Major Crimes
- FBG: How is the character you play on Major Crimes like yourself? And not?
- KG: Amy is smart and funny, but she has a little side of annoying mixed in. I was definitely that annoying girl who was a do-gooder growing up. I was and still am a people-pleaser. First in line. But Amy is much braver than I am. She volunteers for every dangerous situation without a second thought because that’s her job.
- FBG: We heard that you trained extensively with an ex-CIA personnel who specialized in sniper artillery for your role? Can you tell us about what that was like?!
- KG: That was amazing! My husband is still jealous. We went shooting, and he was also around for every scene that involved weapons, which made me feel like I was executing authentically. He actually plays the sniper in the last episode—his name is Mark Semos.
- FBG: What are some of the workouts you love? Any that you love to hate?
- KG: Love dance or yoga. Anything that doesn’t feel like a workout. I HATE running. As a dancer, we don’t run because it is bad for our knee joints. I just can’t get into it.
- FBG: What’s a typical week of workouts like for you?
- KG: Yoga two times a week and running around with the kids every day.
- FBG: We heard that you’re a foodie. What are a few of your favorite things to cook?
- KG: I love doing any kind of raw kale salad. I have about 10 different varieties that I can throw together. I also make a mean cinnamon/pecan bundt cake and a great spicy shrimp and white-bean bake…easy-peasy.
- FBG: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- KG: “Say yes, and figure it out later.” —Hugh Jackman
- FBG: What’s playing on your iPod?
- KG: Jason Mraz.
- FBG: There’s a lot of pressure in Hollywood to look a certain way and be a certain size. How do you maintain a positive body image?
- KG: I remember that actors are people and come in all sizes. As long as I’m healthy, it doesn’t matter. There’s a part for every size.
- FBG: Anything else you’d like to add?
- KG: Hmmm…pinch me!
Any Major Crimes or Kearran Giovanni fans out there? Show yourselves! And we totally want her kale salad recipes… —Jenn