Dan and Jackie Evan’s Talk Biggest Loser RunWalk (And How You Can Win a Free Entry!)
Have we mentioned how excited we are to have The Biggest Loser (and Bob—swoon!) back on our TV screens? Because we are. And we are super pumped to hear how BL is reaching even more into people’s lives through live events. Events like Biggest Loser RunWalk, a series of three types of races (run/walk, off-road challenges and kids’ races) across the country.
And to tell us all about Biggest Loser RunWalk, we got the chance to do a fun tag-team Q&A with Dan and Jackie Evans, from season five of The Biggest Loser Couples, who are the national spokespeople for the race series. Since losing a combined 225 pounds, this mother-and-son duo have been out doing good in the world, spreading their fit message and encouraging others to do the same through the run/walk series and their own foundation Team Future. Read on for their tips for doing the Biggest Loser RunWalk, their predictions for the new season, top weight-loss tips and more!
Interview with Former The Biggest Loser Contestants Dan and Jackie Evans
- FBG: Why did you decide to get involved with this event series and what is your role with it?
- Dan: Well after the show, my mom and I were back to reality and struggled to keep our weight on track. We didn’t have Bob or Jillian in our face for 8-plus hours a day anymore. It was up to us. My mom and I were invited to run a race in 2010. Our experience there forever changed our lives. We couldn’t believe the support and motivation others provided us. We surrounded ourselves with positive influences. I ended up running 14 half marathons in 2011, and all my mom and I heard from others was, “I wouldn’t have been here today without The Biggest Loser.” It is history from there. We are the national spokespeople and help organize everything to the start and finish line. I also perform at the post-race concert.
- FBG: What’s your favorite part about the races?
- Jackie: It is all about hearing others stories—how far people have come to have run (or walked) their first half marathon or 5K. These races have such a positive energy that is contagious.
- FBG: A lot of people are intimidated by doing a race. Any tips for first-timers?
- Jackie: I was over 50 when I finished my first half marathon. My biggest tip is to believe in yourself because anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Another tip is to become involved in the fitness community. Read blogs, tips and articles to educate and motivate yourself. Lastly, grab a workout buddy. I am lucky to have Dan to make sure I get up in the morning to go to the gym.
- FBG: Any predictions for the upcoming season of The Biggest Loser? What are you most excited by?
- Dan: First off, I’m excited that Jillian is back. And I’m really happy that they’ve incorporated teens in this season. I was a 310-pound 19-year-old, and I know what it’s like to be bullied. It’s not fun. I’m hoping this season creates awareness for childhood obesity. Go Bob! He was my trainer, so I’m always rooting for him.
- FBG: What else has been new for you since being on the show?
- Dan: My life has changed dramatically since the show. I’ve went on to pursue my passion of music, and hit No. 7 on the charts of the Country Music Billboards. Honestly, I got my life back. My whole relationship has changed with food, and I’m just a lot happier.
- FBG: What’s your No. 1 weight-loss tip?
- Dan: Just one is hard. Cut the breakfast sodas (and all soda for that matter) and replace it with water. Pay attention to your portion sizes and stay motivated by running races!
- FBG: What’s a typical week of workouts and eats like for you?
- Jackie: I try to plan my meals and snacks out—lots of veggies, fruits, nuts, chicken…I try to eat more whole foods, less processed foods. I usually run/walk outside if it is nice out, or I’m at the gym doing cardio and weight training.
- FBG: Anything else you’d like to add or share with our readers?
- Dan & Jackie: We hope to see you at a Biggest Loser RunWalk! We’d love to hear your story!
Love those two! Want to do a Biggest Loser RunWalk of your own? Check out what cities the series is coming to here and then leave a comment with which race you want to do and why. We’ll select a random winner in about a week to win free registration to the race of her choosing.
Good luck to all who enter! And thanks to Dan and Jackie for the tips! Walk and run it out! —Jenn