From Tish

21 Meditations to Make You Love Yo’Self!

Om. Credit: AlicePopkorn

Om. Credit: AlicePopkorn

Why is it so hard to be kind to ourselves?! Why is it so hard to wake up in the morning and give a little Jessica-like loving? I don’t know the answer to this quite yet. I do know we choose people who love us the way we think we deserve to be treated…so maybe that translates to self love as well.

I’m the queen bee of negative inner chit-chat (which I’m not proud of), so I’ve been actively trying to be as kind to my body as I can muster. Right when I decided I needed to start practicing more self-love, Oprah and Deepak Chopra’s 21-Day Meditation Challenge about perfect health fell serendipitously into my life. So I figured that was a good sign to start. Each day, Deepak guides listeners through a sweet and simple 15-minute meditation. My day dreaming and tangents are infamous, so if I can manage 15 peaceful minutes, I know y’all can!

I was hooked by the first mediation. Chopra discussed the perfection of the body and asked for those meditating to repeat the mantra, “I am perfection. I am healthy. I am strong.”  When you’ve gone so far off the negative deep end of funk, it’s hard to remember what words work. These were perfect because they’re all something we can all say—and if you think about it hard enough, believe.

According to Chopra, we should all imagine our illnesses as a friend. And as a friend, we wouldn’t ignore her. We’d embrace her and offer her encouragement and love. When we have an ache, pain or perceived imperfection, it’s important to acknowledge those areas and offer them love. So here I am…hands resting on my legs, eyes closed, ready for some good self-sweet nothings.

What about you? Do you wake up in the morning with a positive affirmation for your body and overall health? Need some help? If you’re like me and need a bit of guidance, Deepak is your guru. —Tish

Comments

1. Jacqueline C says

Tish, that 21 day challenge sounds awesome!! I wanna give it a try! Seems like it was just the experience you needed. I speak for the both of us, no more negativity! :)

2. says

This 21 days of meditation sound interesting and I am going to try it. I hope to achieve the peaceful and at the same time learn from you.

3. says

@Jacqueline No more negativity indeed! Seek out the light and any and all positive events we can!

@Susan definitely let me know what you think!

4. says

I thoroughly agree with you about meditation. I have found it really useful whenever I am going through one of life’s bad patches. It always settles me down and seems to increase my level of happiness. I follow Deepak on twitter and his advice is always worth listening to.

5. says

I love the sound of the 21 day program. With it only taking 15 minutes a day I am sure I can commit to 21 days. Many of my friends meditate and say that it achieves great changes in their lives.

6. says

I love meditation, like you said it’s a great way to start the day. I also love ending a day the same way. It calms me down and let’s me relax for a good nights rest before another day. Great post.

7. says

I am a big fan of practicing affirmations. I do not recite them as often as I would like but I know the importance of meditating especially when going through rough times.

8. says

I think this sounds like a great idea with a 21 days challenge. The affirmations are a good idea too but you should be a little careful with those. It sounds easy to use affirmations but they can easily backfire on you. For example if you tell yourself “I am beautiful, I am beautiful”, ect… Then when you stop the affirmation your mind will often say something like: “you know that is not true, you are really ugly” you will then keep the thought and feeling of being ugly with the rest of the day. I hope this makes sense.