From Erin

Hate Running? Good News for You!

Walk it, run it, bike it---just move! Credit: garycycles7

Hate running? Walk it, bike it, dance it—just move! Credit: garycycles7

If you’ve been here before, you know I don’t consider myself much of a runner. Sure, I run on occasion—and even run (and love) the occasional race—but as far as workouts, I’m much more drawn to other activities. Running certainly isn’t my preferred method of getting fit—I’d much rather hit the streets with my kids to walk the neighborhood to get in a little exercise, throw in a workout DVD, or hit up a Pilates class.

I’ve always liked taking walks, whether it was with Jenn over lunchtime when we worked in the same building or with my roomie at college. But I feel like walking doesn’t get the credit it really deserves as a way to get fit. Running seems to get all the respect. And while it deserves respect, so does walking! If you push yourself, it really is an excellent cardio workout. Plus, with walking, I don’t have to worry about my stupid knees hurting or getting shin splints.

Because I believe so wholeheartedly in the walk, I was excited to see this bit of research that a brisk walk may be as good as a run for keeping the heart healthy. Basically, a new study just published by the American Heart Association found that walkers lowered their risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes as much as runners. It seems to matter more that you move, rather than how you move.

So for those who think they’re out of luck because they can’t run or don’t want to run—you don’t have to! Find something you love, whether it’s walking or running or gyrating your hips in your living room. Most importantly, just move. And when you walk, walk with pride. You’re still doing fab things for your bod!

Do you walk often? Or do you think it’s not a workout unless you break into a jog? —Erin

Comments

1. A.M. Hillis says

Wow, that’s good news for me! I like running, but I also don’t have a car, which means I end up walking a LOT. Not a day goes by that I don’t walk at least 2 miles, just getting to work and back. I’ve also been on my fair share of “Oops! Missed the bus! Guess I’m walking home!” adventures :).

2. sndn says

Recovering from a back injury. Trying to increase my walk 1/2 mile at a time, slowly. I’m so glad spring is here and can watch everything beginning to bud.

3. AmazingBodyWorkouts says

I have never been a big fan of running! This is good news to me. I agree that it is most important that you get up and get moving either way. I think the key here is consistency. If you walk, run or do some type of exercise regularly you are going to see some results.

4. Elizabeth says

I prefer to run myself but with small children it’s much easier to take everyone out for a nice walk then to go for a run by myself. I agree with a lot of others, getting in the habit of doing some sort of exercise is the most important thing.

5. Liliana says

I’m not a big fan of running. However, especially in weekends, me and my husband go out for a run. Good to know that it is OK to go for a walk and not necessarily run :).

6. Smith says

Running is a great fitness training exercise (cardio workout) although it has it’s downfalls as you mentioned. What I found to enjoy as a replacement to running is jumping jacks with high knees and burpees. Nice to know I’m not the only one who’s not a fan of running

7. Brett Sanders says

Good article… although I am a runner myself because I do enjoy it and consider myself to be good at it, the majority of people don’t enjoy it. I tell most of my clients that there are so many other ways to keep fit and to stay healthy. Sometimes hard aerobic exercise like running can be detrimental to other areas of health anyway.

8. Katie says

I lost 60lbs by walking every day for 60 minutes. I did change my eating habits but the point is, I WALKED! No running, or jogging. A very fast walk at about 4.5 miles per hour is all I did for about 4 months. Walking is a GREAT exercise!

9. Julie says

Loved reading this. I love to walk, hate to run, but for some reason I have decided to try really hard these last couple of months to run. Just completed RUNNING my first 5K this past weekend, and am running in one the next two weekends. There was a definite rush about crossing that finish line knowing that I ran that. I never ran more than a mile in my youth. I’m 47. At the end though, I was like……I’m really more of a walker. I can walk for miles………so it’s good to know I can do both and be doing my body good! Thanks!

10. Valeria Frejlin says

This is such a great post Erin, thank you for sharing. This is why I am so passionate about BungyPump walking poles, they give more of a workout to a simple walk thanks to the resistance and you definitely break a sweat and get out of breath with these. No need to even break into a run!