From Jenn

How I Learned to Love Burpees (Seriously)

burpees-jenn

Is there a single exercise more dreaded that the burpee? I think not. Any time it shows up in a workout at my gym, you’ll hear a collective GROAN. And a: “Ah, man. Burpees? I hate burpees!” (Which is part of the reason why this shirt really cracks me up.) And, I used to be in that groaning crowd. But I’m here to tell you that I’ve broken through the burpee barrier. I now love burpees.

Seriously.

Okay, so I don’t want to, like, marry them or anything and I don’t do them for “fun,” but I now respect them. And I’m actually grateful for them. Yes, grateful. See, after eight weeks of letting the stress fracture in my foot heal by doing no high-impact moves or exercises that require a lot of toe flexion, I’m just now back in the gym at 100 percent. I can run again. Row again. Box jump again. BURPEE AGAIN!

And it has been amazing.

Yes, they still leave me feeling like this (aka “wanting to die.”):

tired-jenn

But after the break, being able to suffer through them feels good. In my eight-week break, I’d missed them. And I found a new appreciation for all of the amazing stuff my body can do.

So if you hate burpees, consider getting a stress fracture! Just kidding, change your thinking. Instead of focusing on what you don’t like and groaning and cursing your way through them, just be amazed at the wonderfulness that is a healthy body. One that can move. One that can jump and lift things and push through. One that can burpee! No matter your fitness level, just be grateful that you’re out there moving. Drop the negative talk and just see what you can do. You just might surprise yourself.

So, burpees? I love ya. Thanks for waiting for me.

Do you love burpees? Hate burpees? Love to hate ‘em? How can you improve your relationship with them? —Jenn

Comments

1. says

As a trainer, I LOVE burpees! Well, I love to make other people do them. ;) But I’ve never met anyone who actually likes them! One of my clients commented one time that doing burpees is actually a privilege: you have to be at a certain level of fitness to be able to do them. This is my new favorite point of view! Burpees deserve a healthy respect, but even more important, you have to respect your body and acknowledge how awesome it is, if it’s capable of doing, say, 10 burpees. Those suckers are hard!

2. Rose says

I think I may be one of the few people who likes Burpees. I will be at the gym with my trainer and I will be the one to decide to do them just for the challenge. I love to see the progress I make from one time to the next. :-)

3. AyanaSanch says

I secretly love burpees, but it may be because I forced myself to love them. I hated them so much at one point, I decided enough was enough and did a burpee challenge. Day 1 was 5 burpees, day 2 10 burpees.. one rest day per week.. until by day 30 you’re doing 100. Some days sucked more than others, but it helped get over my strong dislike for them.

4. Nicole says

Love your bit on burpees, I am a personal trainer and my client s do find them rather intimidating at first but when they find that they can do 3 then next time keep doing more and more the elusiveness or intimidation factor disappears. :)

Keep up the good work!

5. says

I like burpees but when I do it while exercise I just hate it because I think burpees are very tough job in exercise but very important for your fitness.

6. says

ILOVE burpees. like everyone, I used to hate them, but I think it is safe to call them my favorite workout move. There are such good full body workout!

7. Cherie says

I share your point of view on this topic- not only for burpee! I’m recovering from abdominal surgery and just can’t wait to get myself back into training mode! Good attitude though, we must appreciate the amazing things our bodies can do! We are so lucky!