If You Struggle With Food Addiction, Shades of Hope Is Your Book—and We’re Giving It Away!

Shades of Hope is a life-changing book---not a diet.

Shades of Hope is a life-changing book—not a diet.

The first time I heard of Shades of Hope Treatment Center and Tennie McCarty was on TV. I stumbled upon a reality show about food addiction, and I was simply fascinated with it. McCarty took people with all kinds of eating issues—anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder—and had them live together, go through therapy together and generally work through their own issues to truly get healthy inside and out. Her tough, no-BS approach yet loving and funny manner was captivating and got results. In fact, both Ashley Judd and Danny Cahill of The Biggest Loser credit her with helping them to overcome their food addiction demons. So when we were sent her new book, Shades of Hope: A Program to Stop Dieting and Start Living, I was excited to read it.

In my experience, most of us have a little something emotionally tied to our food choices. For some of us, it’s an unhealthy obsession. For others of us, it’s a self-perceived lack of control. For others, it might just be eating for a reason other than hunger every now and again. No matter what yours is, this book is a true guide—not a diet—to having a healthier relationship with food and yourself.

Truly a captivating read, McCarty shares her own personal journey with overcoming food addiction along with the personal stories of others she’s helped at her treatment center. Filled with journaling assignments and other exercises to help you pinpoint your exact reasons for turning to food, this book is as close as you can come to getting McCarty’s help without, you know, actually going to see her. It’s no magic bullet though. While the book does offer general healthy eating advice, it requires you to dig deep, ask yourself challenging questions and do the hard work to break through your patterns. It’s a true self-help handbook for overcoming addiction. (And it’s as intense—if not more so—than overcoming any other addiction, like drugs or alcohol. After all, you don’t need drugs or alcohol to live, but you do have to eat.)

If you have an unhealthy relationship with food, I can’t recommend this book enough. While the program itself in the book is awesome, the thing I loved most about it was that when reading it, you just feel understood. In my time teaching FBG Life, one thing that always comes up for women is that they always feel like they’re the only ones who feel a certain way. But McCarty touches on so many stories, examples and issues that I can almost guarantee that no matter what your food issues are or your past has been, reading this will make you feel understood—and not alone.

Do you want to read Shades of Hope? Leave us a comment, and we’ll select one random U.S. reader to win a copy in about a week! —Jenn

Comments

1. Steph says

Life long struggle with overeating, binging, and family members with anorexia- this sounds like the book for me!! It’s time to get to the root of the problems and live life in the present and look towards the future.

2. Hilary says

Hoping this book gives me the final push to really pay attention to my choices rather than ignoring the emotions behind it!

3. Amber says

Recently diagnosed with insulin resistance, I am trying to make a permanent lifestyle change. While I never dealt with an eating disorder I am realizing I have some pretty unhealthy views towards food. Would love to read this book and unpack these issues I never realized I had.

4. Kira says

I have a problem with over eating and eating just because I’m bored, so I would love to see if this book can help me overcome those problems.

5. Karen says

Doesn’t matter, if I don’t win it I will be buying it. Sounds like something that would make a huge difference in my life!

6. Cindy says

I’m very into fitness and nutrition. I love to learn new things and implement them into my own life. I talk to friends and family about good nurtition and facts about health. I would love to read this book to add to my knowledge bank of good things to do in your life to be more healthy.

7. Pam says

I remember watching the show and I loved it. I am a junkie for those shows including Biggest Loser, Extreme Weight Loss, etc. I have spent the last three years in therapy dealing with my food addiction and I read everything i can to help me get control over it. Thanks for suggesting the book and I am excited about reading it.

8. Sydney says

I’m heading over to Amazon now to check out an excerpt. I would love to read the whole book!

9. Anna B says

After a lifetime of hiding what I (really) eat from the world, I realized I was doing what my mother taught me. I would love to read this book to get some help to get past emotional eating.

10. Liz Wright says

I am definitely obsessed with food and have had a very unhealthy relationship with it for years. I would love to read this book!

11. Amanda says

This sounds like a wonderful and informative book to read; I would love to read it and hopefully gain a new understanding around eating disorders and recovery.

12. Crystal says

I would LOVE the opportunity to read this book. Thanks for the information on it.

13. keetha says

Shades of Hope sounds really interesting! I have an unhealthy relationship with food – it’s exhausting.

14. Susan D says

If this book could help me get over my addiction to food once and for all, I would be forever grateful. I have recently lost 60 pounds, but still battle constantly with telling myself “no” to food. I cannot have one cookie, because I cannot stop at one cookie. Or one bite of anything if we’re being honest. I eat the biggest salads that I can find since vegetables are “unlimited” in my eating plan. After a year and losing the weight, I would have thought that I was cured, but the feelings and temptations are just as strong as they always were.

15. Cassie Piasecki says

No matter how fit I get, I still look in the mirror everyday and think, “what am I going to eat today? Will I be GOOD?” If my daughter talked to herself like this, I would cry! Looking forward to reading this book!
    @SmartyCassie

16. Julia Haeger says

Food addiction….it’s a battle I’ve fought for years. Sometimes it’s manageable, sometimes it’s out of control.

17. Ashley says

I’ve struggled with disordered eating for a long time and would very much appreciate winning! Thanks for the chance. :)

18. Kristi says

This book sounds awesome and I would love a chance to win it. I definitely exhibit addict behavior with food but have never come out and said I’m a food addict because it somehow sounds like something that one would make up, you know? I think a lot about this stuff. It’s not like I can hide the affects of my addiction so it’s not a secret. But I still work at keeping things hidden. Hmmm…..

19. Kate says

I’d love to get this for both myself and a loved one. Everyone has their issues, and this would be a great read.

20. Lonnie Thaler says

I would love to read that book. I want to get rid of my cravings for unhealthy foods. This is my greatest obstacle to achieve my weight loss goal. I wish this can really help me. Thanks for sharing! :-)

21. Carly Sheldon says

I have struggled with my weight and my battle with food since middle school. I lost about four dress sizes in college, but since then gained it all back from stress eating due to the economy and having our first baby. I could really use the help and love in a book by someone who understands and knows how to help!!!

22. kristyn says

i would really LOVE to read this book. I have struggled with an eating disorder, anorexia, for about 6 years and have been to treatment three times and hospital stays.. im doing better.. I have managed to stay out of treatment for a while but its still really hard especially mentally. I need to get myself back on track before I go to far back so I would LOVE to read this book :) thank you so much!!!

23. Cathi Cooper says

This is a book that I would love to read. I want good healthy eating to be my go to not the junk route!

24. michele Davis says

Would love to read this book. I think it could help me on my life journey of changes.

25. Deb Fuerman says

I have lost the same forty pounds three times in my life. I am so tired the merry go round of gaining and losing. I know I am an emotional eater. I hate confrontation so I avoid it at all costs. I am a worrier and I always turn to sweets to fight the worry. I know I need help with my situation. I would love to have this book to help me. Thanks so much.

26. Melanie Campbell says

This looks like an excellent book and I’m looking forward to reading it soon.

27. Tara says

This book sounds so interesting. I was hospitalized for anorexia at the Renfrew Center outside of Philadelphia in my mid- to late 20′s. Although I am at a healthy weight, I struggle every day with body image issues, restricting food and then over-eating. I try my best to keep it together because I do not want to put my eating issues onto my young daughter and this book seems like an excellent way to get some self help while working on my issues.

28. Christy says

This book sounds right up my alley. Something I have been struggling with for years!

29. Diana says

I would really enjoy reading this book, it is about time a book comes out talking about food addiction that looks like a wonderful read.

30. Liz says

love the line “self-perceived lack of control”…how often we’re led to believe this is true! Would love to hear what the author’s thoughts are on this

31. Nicole says

I eat everything it seems and I don’t have the self discipline to control myself. It’s real unfortunate and I hope to change, I’m willing to do anything. I am even looking at appetite suppressants, maybe it would help. I need hope to get me better.

32. denise says

I am definitely an emotional eater who cannot take a bite and then feel satisfied…it’s all or nothing! I have been obese, bulimic, borderline anorexic, and now am battling binge eating followed by desperate exercising! I am ready to get off this damn roller coaster and actually be healthy.

33. Linda says

Saw the author on the tv show, “Ruby.” Real eye opener when you realize you are addicted to food and trying to figure out how and why you became addicted. Unlike other addictions, we need food to survive. Hopefully this time around I will win the fight.