From Kristen

You Need Motivation? I’ve Got Your Motivation

swimming-motivation

Dive in.

I struggle with morning workouts. I struggle, but I do them.

I get to the pool early because that’s when lap swim is open, and trying to get 2500 meters in while dodging screaming children isn’t my idea of a good workout.

I lace up my sneakers early because by 8 a.m. it’s already pushing 90 degrees, and while evening brings slightly cooler temperatures, it also brings with it a full day’s worth of potential excuses.

I lay out my clothes, pump up my bike tires, take out my water bottle, and queue up my playlist the night before so that when that 4:30 or 5 a.m. alarm goes off, I have no reason to be late. I’m up for a purpose. I’m awake so I can work hard.

I’m certainly no Olympic athlete. I’m not elite. I’m barely an age grouper. But this video rings as true for me as it does for the Olympic athletes (Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, etc.) it features. If this doesn’t make you want to hit the pool, hit the gym, hit whatever it is you do, then you and I have very different methods of motivation.

Now get out there and do the work.

Does this inspire you to work a little harder? If not, what do you find motivating? —Kristen

Comments

1. says

I hate early morning workouts. I rather do it in the evening. But I love to hit the park with my dog. The walking is already enough for me… I think. Great motivation you have.. Hope you inspire a lot more people.

2. cheryl says

No it doesn’t motivate me. I am up at four to get in my swim/bike/run before work all week long. Knowing what I feel like the rest of the day and how I perform at races from my consistent training is my reward/motivation. Could care less what others are doing really.

3. says

If you’re someone who sets fitness goals for yourself you don’t keep, you should check out FitPals (www.fitpals.us). FitPals helps you set goals like running your first half marathon, break it into achievable steps, then stay accountable to friends. Check it out!

4. says

I will take these ideas and start doing that, too. So many times as I am looking for my ipod or t-shirt, I am thinking that I could be outside right now. I think it is a very good idea to put everything together the night before. Thanks!!

Also, see my website http://www.findinglights.com – it is a fitness/travel/music blog and what motivates me most is to have good music to listen to while working out. Next time I’ll be out the door faster too! :) All the best! Thx ;)

5. says

This definitely motivates me. I am going to start working out in the morning instead of at nite. Like you mentioned in the post, waiting allows us the chance to make excuses. Thanks for sharing. I love this blog.

6. says

GREAT video! For me the hardest part is getting out of bed and making it to the car. Once I’ve done that, I’m good to go. Nothing feels better than completing that awesome workout, and nothing feels worse than giving in, and not getting out of bed.