Get Real, Box It Out, and Float Away

Americans advised to get real about weight loss, a Wii study names boxing best, and a gym with one heck of a view.

Reality Bites
A group of obesity experts recently issued a wake-up call to Americans, especially those addicted to reality TV: Get real for reals. The group says that because Americans are bombarded with reality TV weight-loss shows where contestants drop massive amounts of weight in record time, advertisements that promise huge results and various media reports that praise extraordinary weight-loss feats (like the man who dieted on McD’s), everyday Americans think that unless they lose 40 pounds in a month, they suck.

The Fit Bottomed Girls already know that, when it comes to weight loss, slow and steady wins the race. But, seriously, you would have to pry the remote from my cold, dead hands before I’d give up The Biggest Loser. Realistic or not, I’m addicted.

Come back down to earth.
A TKO for Wii Boxing

Next time you’re faced with deciding between Wii golfing or Wii boxing, go with the latter. According to a study by the American Council on Exercise, Wii boxing is intense enough to be considered a cardio workout. In 30 minutes, the average calorie burn of the subjects (20- to 29-year-olds) was 216 for 30 minutes. Wii tennis, my personal fave, came in with 159 cals burned. Wii golf was the worst with 93 cals. TKO, Wii boxing, TKO.

Wii Sports was the first game I ever played on my Wii, and this is a good reminder to go back and visit it. I’ll probably never substitute my “real” workouts for these virtual games, but it’s better than sitting on my arse. I should also mention that ACE has already begun studying the Wii Fit. Can’t wait for those results.

Float Away

Okay, so this isn’t new by any means, but the FBGs recently came across this futuristic health club design and had to comment. The River Gym consists of a number of small pods that are powered through exercisers’ expended energy. These boat-like-things then carry both exercisers and passengers (?!) around New York as a new form of green public transportation.

Whoa, I’m all for going green, but would they expect for you to pay to workout like this? I get that the view is good and all, but I might feel like a bit of a mule pulling all of New York around.

Comments

1. WeightingGame says:

i see where the obesity group is coming from, in that the shows are unrealistic. But so is TV by definition. It’s ironic that these shows are called “reality” because they’re scripted and rigged and planned. And the weight loss shows…how could an avergae jow (another ‘relaity; show!) actually lose that kind of poundage? But I’m with you, they are damn entertaining. And they do motivate people…many men and women have embarked on weight loss programs as a result of BL. They just don’t have Jillian barking at them from home.

2. Irene says:

I love the Biggest Loser. But yeah, I am not sure if losing that amount of weight in such a short period of time is healthy. Especially since most of the m can’t keep the weight off after the show. They spend an exorbitant amount of time in the gym.

3. tfh says:

Is it my imagination, or is the river gym just a glorified, modernistic rickshaw?

4. Jenn says:

Leslie brought up a really great point in that TV is unrealistic by definition. I guess maybe if they made it clearer that these big results are not typical and that slow and steady is the most common way to lose weight, that would help. But it’s hard to please everybody. And I would never want them taken off the air :o)

Wow, the futuristic gym is crazy. Loved the comment about “waterfront property” – that would just be insane. Though I’m kind of intrigued.

5. Jenn says:

Oh, and thank you so much for your comment on my blog, Jenn! It really meant a lot, and I’m excited to write more posts in that style in the future :o)

6. kjl says:

I could have told you that Wii Boxing was a good cardio workout! 🙂

7. merry mary says:

I understand the point of the obesity expert group. I do. But like the rest of you I like those shows. I also know that many of the contestants go home and regain large portions of the weight they lost, so I am all for my slow and steady droppage.

Interesting news bits. 🙂

8. Cynthia @ Healthy Hollywood says:

Really great stuff, FBGs!! I’m really happy that someone if finally talking about this. I’ve had clients disappointed that they weren’t losing the same kind of weight that the contestants on Biggest Loser. I think if you can keep it in perspective – like a lot of you ladies here – it can be used in a positive way (motivation, information, etc.) but a lot of people can’t do that and they just end up feeling disappointed in themselves and often giving up.

9. Jenn says:

I agree with so many of these comments about reality TV. It’s VERY true that BL is not a realistic setting (who workS out for 5 hours a day and then haS to dive through a pile of donuts for a prize?!) and I’m glad that it inspires people to get healthier, but it saddens me when people get discouraged so quickly when trying to lose weight. When you change your life, it isn’t easy or fast. Afterall, it takes years to make you how you are now, so it makes since that it might not happen overnight, right?

tfh: Totally a modern rickshaw. lol.

kjl: Girl, you are the Wii boxing QUEEN! No doubt when you do it, it’s a high-intensity workout.

10. Sagan says:

The River Gym is too funny.

And what? You don’t believe everything you see on tv? 🙂 (those shows ARE fascinating, somehow, regardless of how real they are!).

11. grounded fitness says:

wii boxing is my favorite. a ton of us used to play together in front of a big picture window, so when it wasnt your turn you could just go outside and watch whoever was playing thrash around like an idiot. everyone ended up drenched in sweat though.

12. Live Well says:

Wow that’s crazy!! It’d be great for the environment, but I don’t know how they’d pull it off to make it real!

13. Mark Salinas says:

Awesome post! es the media is irritating to say the least!

14. Erica says:

I may need to buy a wii with all of these cool fit games they’ve come out with! That boat thing looks totally crazy! What a good but totally odd idea! I’m with tfh though, total glorified rickshaw!

15. Marcy says:

ITA with the Wii boxing! OMG my arms have hurt like a mo-foer after doing that shiz. LOL

16. Miguel says:

Wii boxing is keeping my mother in shape and she love it! http://www.voiceoffashion.com

17. susan says:

I think TV is the enemy to anyone trying to stay fit, and many reality shows give a hollywood version of what losing weight is all about.

There are ways to drop weight somewhat quickly and safely, as many of us don’t have the benefit of TV cameras and a team of fitness experts at our side.

The Wii is an interesting video game system, and its great that people are using technology to stay in shape.