Just Keep Running, Just Keep Changing

running-change-585By this time in two weeks, I will have run my first half marathon. It’s insane to me what the body can do after training for a mere 12 weeks. When this whole adventure started, I was confident in my ability to run 2 to 3 miles. Now, I know I can go out and run 10 miles. It may not be easy, but I can do it. (My motto is kindly borrowed from Dory in Finding Nemo: “Just keep running. Just keep running.”)

A few things other things than my mileage have changed since I started on this journey, too. My workout clothes, for example. In the past, I had grown accustomed to wearing mismatched outfits only fit for the eyes of my dog watching me Zumba around the living room at 6 a.m. When it came to workouts at the gym or outside, I’d get myself decent looking, often sporting some fun new piece of workout clothing for an official FBG review. These days though, fashion and convenience have flown out the window. I know what I like to run in and what I don’t. I know which sports bras stack up and which, ahem, don’t keep the girls happy. I know at exactly what mile that once-perfect-for-group-ex pair of capris will ride up (mile 4), and that these never move from where they should be. The hair? Who cares—just get it out of my face.

The most dramatic change in my attitude has come with my footwear. My normal socks, which were previously fine for a workout, no longer make the grade. I need support, wicking properties and extra cushion (and apparently a $12-a-sock price tag). And if the three pairs (due to said price tag) that I own are not clean, I’ll wait to wash and dry them. (The more I type this out, the more I realize I may have running OCD…)

The shoes? Lordy, lordy. I religiously alternate between two different pairs of shoes to minimize blisters. And when I recently went shoe shopping, I didn’t pick the cutest shoes on sale. Shocker. Instead, I went with the sneaks best for my overpronating tootsies (and a $90 price tag). Not to mention that I DIDN’T CARE IF THEY GOT DIRTY. In fact, on my first run with them, I ran through not one, not two, but three puddles. Three months ago, a brand-new shoe would probably only be worn while working out inside the gym and wouldn’t even be worn to get to the gym if there was the slightest chance of rain. Nowadays, I could care less about what they look like or if they’re clean—it’s all about getting the run done and me being more comfortable and supported.

I’m a new woman, I tell you. I have actually said in the past week to my husband, “Tonight’s an easy night; we just have five miles to run” and “No more wine for me. I have my long run in the morning.” Have I gone insane? Am I still Jenn? Is this normal running behavior? And seriously, how the heck do you runners afford $12 socks?! —Jenn
Don’t forget about this week’s exciting FitStars! Check back in on Wednesday for our first ever podcast with the one and only Jackie Warner!

Photo grabbed from bfick on Flickr.

Comments

1. Erica says:

Sounds like all of the changes you have undergone have been positive (may even including the $12 socks). Good luck at your half marathon! I know you will kick butt

2. {cher} says:

congratulations on all your progress!! one can definitely read the positive mental attitude, as well as the thrill in all you’ve accomplished these last 12 weeks! Good luck!

3. Marcy says:

It’s gonna be fabulous ;D YAY!!

I’ve been sporting the Champion Duo Dri socks (6 pairs for $9!)lately. They work just as fine as the Balega ones I have but without the $10 a pair price tag.

4. k says:

That actually is fairly normal running behaviour. We tend to be a bit of an OCD bunch…

Good luck with your half!

(I try to find socks on sale. Often the sports stores will put them on sale whereas the “running stores” will not)

5. Lori says:

Loved reading what you have learned on your running journey. I hear ya about the hair. I don’t care what mine looks like it just can’t get in my eyes. That drives me nuts!

You are going to do great! You should be so proud of your hard work!

6. workout mommy says:

sounds like you are an official runner to me! Congratulations! 🙂

7. Yum Yucky says:

Bravo! And you’ve not only inspired me to move up my mileage, but explained why buying expensive gear can be justified. I’ve gotta stop being cheap – I admit it.

8. tfh says:

Why is it that the proper pair of running shoes is never on sale, and seldom cute? Ah, well. Yes, since I have only two Perfect pairs of socks and two Perfect sports bras I find myself doing laundry twice weekly.

9. Prepster says:

What a great post! These are all things I love about running… its a sort of healthy obsession and with each increasingly longer long run, you begin to realize how much fun it is to set and achieve easily measured goals! What an inspiring post!

10. Elizabeth says:

Dude, so funny! I am so proud!

11. Jody - Fit at 51 says:

Congrats! I wear WrightSocks, double layer, because I have bunions & need the extra layer for those. These are the best socks I have found for preventing blisters for me. I know there are lots of good ones out there though. Keep up the good work!

12. katgirl_9538 says:

yay Jenn, you can do it!! we both can! 🙂 i’m on the same journey you are on, except my race isn’t until september so i have a bit more time to train. i started running almost a year ago, and since then have lost 80 pounds and went from running/walking a 46 minute 5k to running 4.5 miles last friday at a solid 12 min mile pace! 🙂 i’m not fast but i’m doing it! keep up the good work, and know that you’re not alone!

13. Jennifer says:

Your post made me smile. I’m in the process of the “runners transformation” as well. I still need to get me a pair of those $12.00 socks

14. Sagan says:

Woohoo go you! Keep it up!

I can’t afford socks right now. I swear, all of mine have holes in them. Why are socks so darn expensive?!

15. g_tree says:

The shoes can be cleaned easily too. Just run them on the short cycle in the washing machine (I don’t even use soap). Then leave them out to air dry. A friend of mine just hoses them out. Its amazing how much cleaner they look after.

16. Adam says:

Hahaha this post makes me laugh, I’m totally the same apart from being a male….
    Shoes are a big issue with me cause i have fat foot syndrome.

May have to look into these $12 socks.

Ad

17. Sara says:

I am right there with you but in four weeks I will be running my first half. I have found my perfect pair of shoes that so far, can do no wrong and am stocking up. I wear the same long sleeved top with the thumb holes for my early morning long runs and yeah, the $12 pair of socks that have designated right and left feet… they must be washed the day of the run so I have enough to make it through the week.

For me, running has changed me in many ways.Not only has it helped with weight loss and maintenance, but it really does help to keep the crazy away. I did most of my running on the treadmill with my schedule: kids, work and life but with the half training split the four runs into two inside and two outside. I never thought I could last outside at all and this Saturday I am running my first 9 miler. How crazy is it that I stressed more about the first five miler and this distance I am simply predicting where I will be on my course when I hit mile nine. It’s giving me great self esteem to know that I have gone from literally the couch to half marathon in seven months; no one telling me what to do but me and I haven changed from a night runner to a morning runner with the half training. I have no running group, no coach… just me and a plan I found online with workouts to go with that hang on my fridge and “tell me to run. This thing called running, I am in love with every bit of it even though I have to pretend I “forgot” I ordered a new watch, shoes, compression pants/socks/shirts when something new arrives on the door step and the husband hands me the package with that “look”.

18. Nina says:

Yes, the $12 socks are a necessity for me too. I’m a fanatic about no toe seams in regular socks, more so w/ the running socks!