I’ve Been TRXed

TRX-training-585Yes, folks, TRX is now a verb.

If you have no idea what I’m talking about, that’s okay. TRX is the sweetest thing since sliced flaxseed bread. It’s a full-body suspension-training workout that doesn’t require anything other than your body weight and an anchor point, like a door or tree. Much like I loved up on Vega back in the day, I’m ready to spread the gospel of the TRX*. After weeks of half marathon training, I’m ready to refocus my goals and spend a bit more time on strength and a little less time on cardio. Plus, Crunch has a whole class with it, and I’ve already established that Crunch knows what’s up.

The TRX is basically a really well-designed set of straps and handles that can replicate darn near any exercise you can do in a gym (see it in action here). Many trainers use the system as a torture device for their clients, but those of us at home can buy an attachment so that you can use the system on any strong door in your house (and torture yourself as little or much as you want).

I have to admit that after opening the package when we first got the system, my hubby and I were a little miffed on how it would actually work on a door that opens toward you (seems like a big opportunity to fall flat on your face when you’re doing chest presses at an angle), but our concerns were quickly put aside when we stopped reading the written directions and popped in the instructional DVD. Video is so much better than words, and the system is just about as safe as you can get, barring your own clumsiness. And I’m happy to report that neither of us broke the door or lost any teeth after numerous TRX workouts.In fact, my husband and I tried really hard to find something wrong with it. Does it adjust for height? Yep, quite easily. What if you don’t have a big room to do it in? No prob. Just use a door in a corner. Is it a one-trick pony with just a few exercises? No, I think Cirque du Soleil performers could train on it. After the first workout, my boy’s only comment was, “Man, they really thought of everything.” (As a side note, he had a similar reaction when we bought a new car and found that it had hidden storage components.)He loves it. I love it. Heck, even my dog finds it entertaining when she watches us lunge, crunch, squat, curl, tricep extend and generally contort about on it. The whole workout just feels natural, kind of like yoga, while still being ridiculously challenging…if you want it to be. You can change your positioning on all of the exercises, thereby manipulating gravity to fit your needs. And because you’re unstable, you engage your core in every exercise. Most of the moves work both the upper and lower body, too, so in about 20 to 30 minutes, you can hit every major muscle group with some serious intensity (a full workout is included on the DVD, too!). Oh, and the whole system fits in a small pouch. Like I said, it just might change your life.

I’ve also found the TRX to help me in somewhat unconventional ways. For example, when the in-laws come over and there’s a dreadfully awkward lull in the conversation…the TRX comes to the rescue, as it permanently hangs on the door in my living room (because I’m both too lazy to take it down and sometimes like to stare lovingly at it) and naturally evokes the question, “What is that?” See? TRX=fascinating conversation.

It’s also spiced up the love life. There’s a rule in my house that when my hubby and I workout out on the TRX, we have to dress skimpy. For me, that’s shorts and a sports bra. For my husband, that’s shorts and no shirt. It’s still pretty PG-13, but gah-rowl. TRX=a spicier marriage.

These benefits have a price though. At $169.95, the TRX professional pack isn’t exactly cheap, but it is considerably cheaper than outfitting a home gym with a full set of weights, takes up virtually no room and gives you a full-body workout. A score on all fronts, really.

Have you ever tried the TRX system? Do you have a fitness product that you’re in love with? Tell us in the comments below! β€”Jenn

FTC disclosure: We often receive products from companies to review. All thoughts and opinions are always entirely our own. Unless otherwise stated, we have received no compensation for our review and the content is purely editorial. Affiliate links may be included. If you purchase something through one of those links we may receive a small commission. Thanks for yourΒ support!

Comments

1. Hallie Fullagar says:

TRX is amazing! i’ve tried the bootleg version (much cheaper) and i loved it and i am saving up to treat my self to the real thing.

2. tfh says:

That looks great, actually– would it be too cumbersome to pack up in a suitcase? It looks far more comprehensive than my usual resistance band for gym-free travel.

3. Jenn says:

tfh: You could totally travel with it! It comes in a small pouch that would probably be equivalent to taking two resistance bands.

4. Veronica says:

My husband and I have been using the TRX with our trainers and adore it. Well, we adore its portability and flexibility. The work-out kicks our rears. We just got one to take with us as we’re joining the Peace Corps and want to keep up our work-outs. The TRX videos online are pretty crazy and intense, almost intimidating for me. But my trainer made it very accessible. I’m definitely a fan!

5. Amy says:

Hallie, what is the “bootleg” version? I would love to try this system but don’t have an extra $150 lying around…

6. Wes says:

TRX is great! Although I hated it with a passion the first few (10-15)times I did it. One of my coaches introduced me to it a couple years back and it gives the best core workout I’ve ever had

7. Marsha @ A Weight Lifted says:

When I first saw the pictures, I thought, “Boy, I could really hurt myself on this.” So was glad to hear you haven’t broken any teeth! It does look like fun as well as a workout. I’m always looking for that combination. Thanks!

8. Jody - Fit at 51 says:

I blogged abut TRX quite a while ago when I first read about it. I thought the home version would be great for travel. I never have tried it but it just looked like a really good workout. Wish I could afford it! Good post to offer up options for people that can afford it! OR, maybe a few friends can chip in & share it!

9. Sagan says:

I keep hearing about this and I really want to try it out! Not sure if I want to shell out that much money though. But man it looks like fun. Also an instructional VIDEO as opposed to paper instructions makes so much more sense… thanks for the great review!

10. From Gym Rat Girl says:

I have been so afraid to try this at the gym. Thanks for the review. I linked to it today on my blog. You always post great content. Let’s be in touch in the future.

11. Hallie Fullagar says:

haha Amy..my bootleg version is legit a rope thrown over a thick tree branch.(i swear i’m not a hick) i was slack-lining one day and decided to try it..needless to say i was sore the next day but couldn’t do some of the stuff that the TRX is capable of…

12. Anonymous says:

The TRX is fabulous. We use it daily at my gym. It is great for working arms, legs, abs, butt…everything!

13. dily-dally says:

What about cardio?? I know this definitely works for strength training but if u wanted to quit your gym and get this, could u use this for your cardio workout??

14. Jenn says:

Dilly-Dally: While doing lunges and squats, you definitely get your heart rate up, but, on the whole, it’s way more strength than cardio. But, you could get some good cardio DVDs or go outside for a fast walk or jog?

15. mrose says:

My husband and I are both looking forward o trying the TRX after reading this review. Thank you for the info!

16. Desie says:

Would love to try it. As a stay-at-home mom with a limited income, this looks like a great alternative to the gym membership that I cannot afford.

17. Sandra says:

I would love to try this out. Our house is small and old. Can’t do many exercises that require moving backwards and forwards but do have large open doorways!

18. fitchica says:

I am a HUGE FAN of the TRX. I bought it as a tool for personal use and since I'm a personal trainer became TRX certified so I could use it with my clients. What I love most about the TRX is that it's great for ALL LEVELS of fitness because each exercise can be modified by just changing the position of the feet or body. I bought several and now teach TRX Group Fitness classes at a very reasonable cost. So, if you're in Redondo, Hermosa, or Manhattan Beach area, feel free to contact me.

19. Sue says:

I LOVE TRX! I’ve been doing it for about 6 months and it has completely transformed not just my body but the way I look at workouts. I love it so much that I just became a certified TRX trainer! If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly suggest doing so. It’s an amazing workout you won’t regret!

20. Ada Gallardo says:

Golds gym has a suspension kit for $60 at Walmart…comes with travelling pouch and CDs…

21. Patricia says:

I tried TRX foot the first tinge last week at a local gym. I love body weight exercises and I really liked the workout. I’m going back for more fun torture next week πŸ™‚