Earlier this week we featured three yummy books, one of which was Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Cookbook. As you already know, I love the book for its healthy recipes and tricks and tips sprinkled throughout. And today we’re sharing the yumminess with you!
Below is the recipe for Tosca’s Banana Date Breakfast Bread. It’s so hearty and filling and banana-bready. It’s just delicious. And it’s the perfect breakfast or dessert in my opinion. I love that it includes dates and apple butter (I’ve seen applesauce in recipes, but never apple butter! And I looove apple butter.) And I even tried replacing the ground flaxseed with Salba (I had leftovers from the review), which turned into more deliciousness. And get this: Each serving (1/12 of the loaf) is only 210 cals with 6 grams of protein, 4 grams of healthy fats, 7 grams of fiber (!) and no cholesterol. Try it!
Banana Date Breakfast Bread
Courtesy of Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Cookbook
1 c. mashed very ripe banana (about 2 medium-sized bananas)
1/2 c. Sucanat or rapadura sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c. apple butter
1 1/2 c. whole-grain flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 c. ground flaxseed
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 c. pitted dates, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. whole flaxseeds for top of loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a loaf pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine banana, Sucanat, vanilla and apple butter. Add eggs. Beat together well.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and powder, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Mix well and add to banana mixture.
- Fold in dates.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle whole flaxseeds over top.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into middle of bread comes out fairly clean. There should be no batter stuck to the toothpick. Remove to wire cool rack.
- ENJOY THE DELICIOUSNESS!!!*
I bet you’re hungry now, huh? Hehe. —Jenn