Baby on the Way

Credit: moonsheep

Exciting news in FBG land! If you didn’t guess the news by the headline, I’m pregnant! My due date is September 11, so I’m quickly nearing the half-way mark.

I would love to sit here and tell you I’ve been the model for a healthy and fit pregnancy—the pregnant woman everyone should aspire to emulate. And to tell you the truth, before I got pregnant, I thought I would be getting an A+ in pregnancy nutrition and fitness. I thought I’d maintain my workout schedule, eat lots of leafy greens, and be all Zen and pregnant.

And then I actually got pregnant. And guess what? That wee little baby had other plans for me. It’s shocking that something the size of a pea can have such an impact on your life. Out went the workouts, in came the exhaustion. Out went the salads, in came the Arby’s roast beef sandwiches. Out went feeling normal, in came the nausea and gagging (thankfully, no vomiting, so I know it could have been much worse). Out went three square meals a day, in came eating nonstop to settle my stomach. And I swear, the lack of vegetables in my diet was nearly criminal. And water, of all things, would make me gag, so I had to rely on juice and milk for hydration.

For the first few weeks of pregnancy, I was a little afraid to work out. Most doctors will tell you that you’re safely able to maintain your previous activity levels and will give you the green light to work out. Mine, bless him, did specify “No ab stuff” to which I gladly complied. And although I knew in my head that a workout wasn’t going to jar a baby loose, I skipped over harder workouts in favor of gentler cardio and strength exercises.

But then working out became too much effort. Too tired, I started to choose the couch over the cardio. I stayed active by walking to run errands, walking the dog, testing a DVD or two, painting the house. But I wouldn’t call most of what I did in my first trimester a workout. As the weeks went by, I started to see myself in the future—at the end of my pregnancy— not having worked out at all. And I’m a fitness blogger? For shame! And while I didn’t want that to happen, it also didn’t change the fact that I didn’t feel good enough to work out.

And then something called “the second trimester” came along. Thank goodness for the second trimester! Veggies re-entered my diet! Energy came creeping back! Exercise entered the realm of possible activities I could enjoy again! The second trimester is my bestest friend.

I’ve learned a lot in the last few months. And as I’m sure there are many of you out there who are pregnant or will be pregnant at some point in your life, here are my FBG pregnancy rules to live by!

FBG Rules for Pregnancy

1. Don’t feel guilty if you don’t feel well enough to work out. Even the most dedicated athlete can get hit by exhaustion and morning sickness. Try to stay active, even if you’re not heading to the gym. Walking, other light cardio and a few stretches and strength exercises will get you by until you’re feeling better. And don’t even worry about “workouts.” You can make room for activity in all sorts of ways!

2. Give yourself a break. Don’t try to do too much. Now that I’m working out again, I notice that I fatigue waaay more easily. I even get out of breath walking up one flight of stairs. Don’t beat yourself up about it. As my nurse said, “Of course you’re tired. Your body is working around the clock to make a human.” You might not look any different yet, but there’s a lot going on in there!

3. Don’t succumb to food guilt. In an ideal world, you’d be able to eat all of your fruits and veggies and get the correct amount of calcium every day. But in the pregnant world, sometimes the healthiest stuff just makes you want to vomit. Remember that, especially in the early weeks, the nutritional needs of a baby are very small. If you can only keep peanut butter sandwiches down, go with it! Your menu will expand again soon enough. Plus, those prenatal vitamins will help fill in the nutritional gaps.

4. Sleep. I can’t stress this one enough. If you’re tired, sleep! You may even pass out at 8 p.m. while watching TV. If your husband or significant other gives you a hard time, have them call my nurse (see No. 2).

5. Enjoy it! Even though there are admittedly drawbacks to pregnancy (No wine! Back aches! ), I’m savoring every moment of pregnancy. (And honestly, wine sounds gross to me anyway.) When else will I get to enjoy watching my belly get bigger and the numbers on the scale go up?

For you non-pregnant peeps who are miles away from being interested in pregnancy, have no fear! FBG won’t be turning into all baby, all the time. I will of course be updating throughout my pregnancy, but Jenn and I are gearing up to launch Fit Bottomed Babies (how cute is that?). It will be a great place to turn for news and tips on nutrition and fitness for pregnancy and baby, as well as my experiences trying to stay active throughout my pregnancy and get back in shape post baby. And it won’t be all health-related; we’ll tackle parenting and relationship issues, as well as finding “me” time . I’m sure there will be a lot to share about trying to find balance when a little munchkin turns my world upside down! —Erin

Comments

1. Melissa says:

Woo Hoo! Congratulations!!!

2. Katie says:

Congrats! I wish Fit Bottomed Babies had been around when I was pregnant!

3. Fitarella says:

Congratulations Erin!
    When I was pregnant I was no where near the zen-leafygreens-prego-mama. I was all about the french fries & wacko hormones 🙂 Enjoy!! Its a wonderful time!!

4. Abby says:

YAY! That is so exciting!!!! Big but wonderful changes! 🙂

5. Carly says:

Congrats. So excited to follow along. I’m due sept 10th. 🙂

6. Congratulations! My wife is due with our third child in July, and I can vouch for your recommendations. 🙂

7. Cristin says:

Congratulations! This post made me think back to when I was pregnant with my first child… I hated the 24 hour nausea and round-the-clock eating to keep away the nsausea for even just 5 minutes. Hang in there!

8. Congratulations! That is so awesome … Your going to have an amazing journey, kids are so much fun and motivation. My wife went through a number of the things you write about just recently with our second. She felt so guilty at first for not eating or working out as she had planned. Once she got past that and worked into that second trimester it really started coming along. Better eating (though not perfect) and she actually didn’t gain much at all from the middle of 2nd trimester till the end. Not that I would have cared but she did.

Anyhow, congrats again … that is so cool!!! Can’t wait to read more updates in the future.

9. Congratulations! I’m prego too – due October 25th. Like you, my plans for a superfit pregnancy got a bit derailed. But, I’m trying, and as I’m nearing the end of my first trimester, I feel a little bit of energy returning.
    Best wishes for a wonderful rest of your pregnancy – have fun!

10. Yay! Congrats! How on earth did you manage to not tell us sooner?

I also want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for giving me hope! I’m sitting here trying to keep my breakfast down and my eyes open. I’m 8.5 wks prego with #3 (due Nov 11th) and I feel like a truck hit me! At this point the only thing that makes me feel better is sleep and oddly enough, running. I’m training for a half-marathon and the race is when I’ll be 14.5 wks prego, so your post is great inspiration that by race day I’ll probably be feeling better, and if I keep on slugging it out and getting my runs in I’ll be able to do this. Thanks for helping me stay motivated and knowing I’m not alone with the fatigue, nausea, junkie eating and lack of exercise motivation.

Cheers to a healthy, happy pregnancy! Congrats again!

11. Congratulations, Erin! Such wonderful news!

12. Congratulations! How exciting. You have a great attitude, not beating yourelf up over being less than perfect and finding ways to sneak activity in. I plan to stop taking birth control later this year and “let nature take its course,” so I will eagerly read your pregnancy posts and can’t wait for Fit Bottomed Babies. 🙂

13. Congrats, girl! So exciting!

14. Tracey says:

Congratulations!

15. congratulations!!!

(the arbys cravings hit me too!) 🙂

16. Sagan says:

I’M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! Congratulations!!

I don’t have a baby- nor do I ever want one- but I’m super fascinated by learning about what happens during pregnancy and about the health behind it, so it’ll be fun to read your Fit Bottomed Babies articles 🙂

17. Amanda says:

Having 2 kids myself, I will tell you that your advice is right on 🙂 I was always SO SICK my first trimester, felt ok my second, and then awful again for my third (but my body just doesn’t like being pregnant), so I had about a 3 month window of “normal”, each time, lol – which I totally took advantage of. Enjoy the rest of your preggo ride!!

18. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I love all things babies 🙂

19. Lisa says:

Congrats on the baby! I’m not pregnant but I am hoping that when I am someday I can keep my workout routine going. Your article scared me a bit. LOL!

20. kate says:

congratulations erin! glad to hear you’re feeling better in the 2nd trimester. totally random but check out elizabethfedofsky.blogspot.com if you want to read tales from a triathlete where the only race finish line she’s going to see is giving birth in July…it’s pretty entertaining 🙂

21. Taina says:

Congrats! That’s wonderful news!

22. katrina m says:

congrats erin, that’s so great!!! my husband and i are currently “trying” after a miscarriage in december, so hopefully i will be joining you soon!! can’t wait to see the new site!!

23. Allie says:

OH! WOW! CONGRATULATIONS! My sister is pregnant and will be due ANY day now! I will be a first time Aunt! I am SO excited for her and you! She is having a boy. Do you know what you’re having? Name ideas?

24. kelly says:

How did I miss this yesterday?! Congratulations! I love your list and am reposting this right now.
    And water? Made me gag too- how is that possible?!

25. Jenn C says:

Congratulations! I to am pregnant and almost done w/ my first trimester. When I found out I was pregnant at 5 weeks, I had visions in head that I would continue to do cardio 5days a week, yoga daily and weight training twice a week…as I was before pregnancy. Your post resonated w/ me b/c that was all out the window due to my nausea and exhaustion. I was also put on activity restriction due to my dizziness. I stopped eating veggies. I can barely stomach meat, let alone the smell of meat cooking. I eat McDonalds breakfasts (oh, btw, I hate fast food!) Hopefully, I’ll be like you and get my energy back and no longer be nauseaus in the 2nd trimester. Good luck and congrats!

26. Big huge congratulations!!! Meee toooo!!! I’m due August 5th and OMG I felt like I could have written this post word.for.word!

I look forward to following along with you and “Fit Bottom Babies” too, how fun!

27. Alycia Irish says:

CONGRATULATIONS!! I have to say that I was very excited to see that you’re going to start “Fit Bottomed Babies”, especially since I’m expecting my first on May 29th and have been trying to do my best to stay in shape and exercise while pregnant…nothing like it looked before, though, and I’m hoping that after her (having a girl!) arrival, I will be able to quickly get back into shape…love your blog!

28. Leslie says:

Congratulations!!

But honestly, all that sounds really terrible!

29. Karla says:

WOW! Congratulations Erin! Wishing you all the best with the rest of your pregnancy 🙂

30. Congratulations!

I’m due August 2nd and I’ve been trying to keep up with my workouts.
    It’s so hard for me to not compare what’s going on this spring with my athletic achievements of last spring. But that’s okay. Just because I did a half marathon last year doesn’t mean I have to this year. I’m actually attempting to train for a 5k/10k (depends on how I’m feeling at 29 weeks!) and getting a Pregnant PR. I’m also trying to enjoy my workouts more just for the sake of how it makes me feel and not just because I’m training for something. I’ve also tried some prenatal yoga that was just awesome.

31. Ashleigh says:

Yay, I’m so glad I stumbled across your blog. I’m pregnant, almost done with my first trimester, and I VOWED I would stay fit and make all the healthy choices throughout this pregnancy. Well, it’s hard when you want to vomit all day and everything in sight makes you sick. I am SO looking forward to the second trimester when I can get the energy to get off my butt and workout. I still plan on keeping this a healthy, fit pregnancy, but I don’t feel so guilty anymore for falling off the bandwagon during the first trimester. I’m looking forward to more posts!

32. Morgan says:

Congrats!
    I can’t wait for Fit Bottomed Baby, I’m due on October 7! I’m so glad you wrote this post, I was thinking of one very similar, but you hit the nail on the head. I gave up running for walking, power yoga for gentle stretching and wine for juice (which I NEVER drank), and I can’t believe that I feel OK with all of it!
    I’ll be honest, I kind of miss wanting to eat non stop carbs first trimester, that was fun!

33. Ghada says:

Aww! Sorry for the late Congrats!!! Yay for Mommy Erin! xoxo

34. Hellena says:

This is a little late, but, congrats! and:
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    It’s SOOO good to hear Im not alone!
    I’m 7 weeks along and have no energy what so ever and all I want to eat is McD’s. All the time!!! (I don’t, but that’s what I want).
    Once again – thank you!