Eating “Paleo,” as those who follow the Paleo Diet call it, is pretty much an exercise in being a cavewoman. Well, minus the living in a cave and hunting down your own food (that’s what Trader Joe’s is for!). Instead, you eat like our ancestors did—clean, unprocessed foods that you find in the great outdoors. While anything with the word “diet” in it, makes us twitch our fit bottoms in disgruntlement, going Paleo is really more of a lifestyle than a fad diet.
While I live by the eating motto “all good things in moderation,” as my healthy eating and fitness have been evolving (evolving, get it? Ha!), I will say that I’ve gone towards more of a Paleo way of eating of late. I rarely have dairy, I’m getting the majority of my carbs from fruits and starchier veggies, and I am eating free-range and natural meat when I can. Again, I’m not perfect, and I still get my wine and protein bars in regularly, but I see how this diet can make sense.
If you’d like to incorporate more Paleo Diet foods in your meals, read on for 10 items to throw in your grocery shopping cart!
10 Healthy Items on the Paleo Diet Shopping List
1. Nuts. Any and all varieties!
2. Eggs. Scrambled, poached, over easy…the eggtastic fun doesn’t stop!
3. Fresh herbs and spices. Eating Paleo is a foodie’s dream with fresh herbs and spices to season things up.
4. Wild fish. With so many fishy varieties—each with different health benefits—it’s hard to get bored with this protein.
5. Fruit. From berries to melons to apples and pears, it’s delish!
6. Mushrooms. High in selenium, ‘shrooms of all varieties fill your belly with nutrition!
7. Green leafy veggies. Paleos stock up on kale, spinach, argula and other dark leafy greens to help get calcium and iron.
8. Root veggies. Because grains aren’t a part of the Paleo Diet, most carbs come from root vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, artichokes and beets.
9. Fats. Yummy, yummy fats! On the Paleo Diet you get plenty of avocado, nut oils and coconut to keep you satiated.
10. Meat. I’m a big fan of bison, but really any animal protein will work. Try to get it grass-fed and without the hormones if you can.
It’s hard to disagree with most of the foods on this shopping list. What do you think about the Paleo Diet? Love or hate any components of it? —Jenn