We love a lot of things around here on FBG (check out this series for proof—we’re all about the love!), but two things we really, really love? Bob Harper and oatmeal. We recently had the chance to ask Bob (swoon!) a few questions about his breakfast of choice: oatmeal.
As a spokesperson for Quaker oatmeal, he shares his favorite oatmeal toppings, tips on eating before and after a workout, and how to up your metabolism when trying to lose weight. Have we mentioned we love him? That’s just not because of the last question…he knows his stuff! (And that smile…)
Interview with Bob Harper About Oatmeal and More!
- FBG: Why is oatmeal a good breakfast choice, what are some of your favorite toppings and what do you recommend?
- BH: Oatmeal is a great choice for breakfast because it gives you the complex carbs your body needs for fuel, it packs a punch with fiber that will keep you feeling fuller longer, and also it is just so easy and convenient. Some of my favorite toppings are blueberries and slivered almonds. I also love to mix my oatmeal with scrambled eggs for a great protein/carb combo.
- FBG: If you work out in the morning, what’s the best time to eat breakfast?
- BH: I recommend getting in around 200 calories of protein/carbs and fat 45 minutes before your workout, and then within the first 30 minutes after your workout, have a balanced breakfast that would definitely include oatmeal.
- FBG: How does breakfast help you to be healthier and maintain a healthy weight?
- BH: Think about it, your body has gone for hopefully eight hours without food, so you need to start throwing wood on the fire that is your metabolism and if you make healthier choices earlier in the day, you are more likely to continue that pattern. Think about getting your biggest meals in the morning and your smallest meal in the evening.
- FBG: What do you eat for breakfast most mornings?
- BH: Right now my breakfast consists of three whole eggs and three egg whites scrambled with a bowl of oatmeal and definitely coffee!!!
- FBG: Anything else you’d like to add re: breakfast—or anything really? Feel free to declare your love for Fit Bottomed Girls here. 🙂
- BH: You know I LOVE my Fit Bottomed Girls. I always love the support that they have given me for such a long time now. My main thing that I want to say that I touched upon earlier is focus on getting your biggest meal earlier in the day and taper off as the day goes by. If weight-loss is your objective for 2012, this is a sure fire way to achieve it. Also, HYDRATE!!! Drink plenty of water every day.
We never tire of hearing Bob say he loves us (and by “us” I mean me, our writers and all of the awesome readers who happily call themselves FBGs!)…HAPPY SIGH. Do you eat oatmeal? What are your favorite ways to fuel in the morning? Let’s talk breakfast! —Jenn