fbpx ;

Giving Up to Gain

Bigstock--38705071---Chocolate-homemade-pastry-cookies-150130jwI’ve been lifting for a couple of months now. I got to a point where I could squat 155 pounds, and I thought I was a bad-ass. A bad-ass who could eat whatever the heck she wanted. Classic rookie fitness mistake!

I got so cocky. I just knew when it was time to check in on measurements that I’d find that I’d actually leaned out, gotten some good muscle and burned some fat to oblivion. What a shock I received though when I got on the scale and found out that I had, in fact, gained 10 pounds. My trainer was shocked at first but then immediately said it had to be muscle…then we took my BMI and found that I had gone up two percentage points in fat. My world came crashing down.

I felt so disheartened and frustrated. I have told people time after time that a nutritious diet is super-duper important, and then I went out and acted like a 13-year-old boy who can consume the world without flinching. It took awhile for me to stop with the pity party, but I managed to snap out of it long enough to take back control of my diet. I decided to pull a Jenn and give up cheese (which I shouldn’t be eating anyways; I’m lactose intolerant), flour, fried foods and sugar. Which meant no more morning coffee with three spoonfuls of sugar, no pizza, no cupcakes and no candy.

It wasn’t too hard to stick to the plan…I give myself a break once a week if I need to, but for the most part, it’s been easy. It’s sure not coming off as fast as I packed it on, but at least I know I’m doing something better for my body and overall health.

I’ll have to check back in with you in a couple months and let you know how it’s going. My fingers are crossed; my toes are, too. Here’s hoping for some results from hard work and discipline!

What about you? Have you recently given up something bad and replaced it with something better? Would love to hear how it’s going for you! There is, after all, strength in numbers. —Tish

Comments

1. Noel says:

I recently went a month without any kind of sweets (candy, desserts, etc.). Now I’m trying to elminate all sugar. I also try to avoid fried foods. Luckily, I am at the point now where my body lets me know I’ve eaten something not very good.

2. Kristen says:

I wish I had your resolve! I did give up that fake, nasty flavored creamer for my coffee. Now I go with 1/2 tsp sugar and a splash of milk. So far I don’t miss it! baby steps…

3. Tish says:

Gurl…I like coffee with my sugar and cream! It was bad lol. After I did the pantry post and was outed for my fake sugar (Splenda) I gave that up and went back to regular and that’s when the naughtiness set in because I needed three tablespoons to equal the sweetness of those naughty little fake packs. Tsk tsk.

4. Rebecca says:

Sometimes I think it’s better to give up one thing at a time, just because you’re less likely to break down and just binge. But if you allow yourself one day, that might take care of that.

At this point I eat zero dairy, no gluten, no coffee (ack! that was hard) and I’m well on my way to eating vegetarian a few days a week. But that’s been by changing my diet slowly for the past three years. Good luck!! If you’ve got a food processor, you can make some vegan cheese if you’re feeling desperate. That’s my guilty pleasure 😉

5. digamba says:

Has anyone else here tried stevia? I like it way better than chemical sweeteners for my coffee…dissolves just the same. I buy it in a large quantity, comes in a big dark green plastic ziptop bag (trying to describe without endorsing a specific product, heh). I also had to give up milk and switched to a coconut-based coffee creamer (get the unflavored version, has the least sugar)–it is TASTY.

Good luck, Tish!

6. Kelsey says:

Tish,
    You might try honey in your coffee. I started drinking coffee that way and don’t know the difference. I won’t drink coffee with sugar in fear of what it would taste like. I always ask for it when I go to restaurants. I also put milk it it, but you may or may not be able to do that since you are lactose intolerant. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck with the journey.

7. Tora says:

I’m not one to give up things as such, what I like to do is ‘crowd out’ the stuff I don’t want to eat by ‘adding in’ so much good stuff that there’s no room left for the other. My sugar cravings are almost days of old now that I’ve added in way more fats than I ever thought possible (having been a 90’s fat is bad kind girl)!

8. Tiarra says:

This was nice to read. I had a very similar experience recently, so it’s nice to see someone else who refuses to give up, and decides to make changes. That gives me more motivation for sure!

9. Amy says:

I always used to drink my coffee with milk and sugar. Then one day, I filled my travel mug with coffee and didn’t realize until I got in my car and took a sip that I had forgotten to put in the milk and sugar. The taste was shocking at first, but I was desperate so I drank it. By the time I was halfway through, I had gotten used to it. So I decided to go a week drinking black coffee. After that, I became so accustomed to it that sweetened coffee became gross. It makes sense, I guess. They say you have to try a new food seven times before you get used to it.

Comments are closed.