★FitStars: We Catch Up With Ruby Gettinger on Her Weight-Loss Journey!
You guys remember Ruby Gettinger from the reality show Ruby? We do! And we’ve just been dying to know what she’s been up to since our interview with her two years ago. (Dude, time flies.) So when we heard she was doing the ViSalus 90-Day Challenge and recommitting to her weight-loss goals, we wanted the full scoop. Ruby is such a sweetheart and has been so publicly open about her struggles with losing weight and keeping it off—her honesty is truly refreshing! And we love those Ruby-isms…
Interview with Ruby Gettinger
- FBG: Why did you decide to do the ViSalus 90-Day Challenge?
- RG: I have chosen to go this way because of the support ViSalus gives their community and for their 90-Day Challenge. The proof is definitely in the testimonies of over thousands that have transformed their bodies. WOW!!! I am loving ViSalus protein powder. I can make a lot of different recipes. I use it two or three times a day. I use it to make a breakfast shake, pancakes, muffins, parfait and sooo much more…I am also eating and juicing with the protein powder instead of drinking diet sodas. I am trying out all these recipes and WE know I can’t cook—ha! So I am on an adventure. I am finally learning to do it all! I am doing it on my own. Here are some things I am doing with recipes…
- FBG: What are you most excited about with the challenge?
- RG: I am excited that the “challenge” is surrounded by health and making dreams come true. Anyone can do something for 90 days. ViSalus has done me a HUGE favor by allowing my fans to be able to follow me online and receive my updates. Anyone can join me and do Rubyschallenge.com or their own 90-Day Challenge. Also, I am sooo EXCITED ViSalus is working with me to help fight obesity.
- FBG: You’ve been very public about your struggles with losing weight. Where are you in your journey now? What have you learned?
- RG: I started this journey to find out the truth behind obesity. The year before I started my journey I weighed 719 pounds, but I know I gained even more weight after that weigh-in at the hospital. The lowest I got down to before the show was 550. The first, second and third of the show I did lose weight, even though I had setbacks. The lowest I got down to, since I was a teenager, was 328 pounds. When my journey started becoming about a number on the scale, I became obsessed and ended up sabotaging myself. As y’all know from the fourth season of the show, I gained 60 pounds back, then I lost 30 of that. Next thing I know they are cancelling my show. Two months later, the unexpected death of my brother (my JohnJohn) and other things happened, and I gained 80 pounds! WHO? On October 11, 2012, I decided I was going to finish this no matter what. I wanted to do this for me and others like me. I weighed with Shazi and my weight was 398. As of today, I weigh 328 pounds. In 20 weeks I’ve lost 70 pounds. HOOTIE, HOOT, HOO! I am pulling myself back up. I decided to do what “I needed to do to get healthy.” I want to reach my goal and help others. I will not do anything I do not believe in. I prayed about this and feel at peace with my decision. I am on a journey spiritually, mentally, emotionally and physically. This is part of my journey, and I will have to see what happens and stay faithful to God. I am starting my second 90-Day Challenge with #Visalus. I love what they are about!
FBG: What tips can you share for making a full lifestyle change for the healthier?
- RG: You are stronger than you think. One little setback is not enough to stop you from achieving your goals, neither are 100 to 1,000 setbacks. You might FEEL weak, but you are NOT weak! If you are reading this, you still have the will in you to fight! You CAN and WILL WIN. The only time you fail is when you give up. There are going to be many people who will try to bring you down and tell you can’t do this or that—you’re doing the wrong plan, going the wrong way, etc…Don’t let anyone destroy you or your will to survive. Believe it or not, there are many people who are in a worse situation than we are right now. Pull yourself up and fight my fins!!! You can do what I am doing or do whatever you’re already doing. Please be consistent for 90 days on your program just like I am. SO let’s do OUR #90daychallenge…I am sacrificing going out to eat, going to functions or anything that costs money. I feel I am in a battle, so I must become a strong soldier and be disciplined in every area of my life. For 90 days I am entering my own boot camp, cooking at home, a lot of recipe experimenting, working out and most importantly learning how to ask for help before I have a setback. (This is a great tool for the mind: http://www.oa.org/.) In order to win this battle, I must become strong SPIRITUALLY, MENTALLY, EMOTIONALLY, PHYSICALLY, and, trust me, that takes all I have. I am ready to give all I have for me. I am a wounded soul, healing in every part of my life so that I can help other wounded souls. I know we can help one another. Join me in my battle to victory!
- FBG: What’s the No. 1 thing you’ve learned on your journey?
- RG: Never make it about the number on the scale. This is a life-time change, and I must work on it daily. Also, I’ve learned to be consistent on one plan—and don’t believe everything people tell you or promise you!
- FBG: What’s the first thing you plan to do when you hit your goal weight?
- RG: I want to climb the highest mountain and scream at the top of my lungs: “I did it! I really did it!” My journey has been a long one with setbacks, and when I get there, I can only imagine what that day will feel like to actually know I conquered my beast. 🙂
- FBG: How can people follow your journey?
- FBG: What’s a typical day like for you in terms of workouts and healthy eats?
- My typical day starts when I get up. I get on my treadmill or NuStep bike and walk/ride for 45 minutes. Then, I fix a shake or pancakes or yogurt with my ViSalus Protein Powder. I make sure to eat every 3.5 to 4 hours. For lunch I will eat 4 ounces of protein with green veggies—I always measure. I write down EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. A few hours later, for a snack, I will have my ViSalus cookie with water. The cookie has a lot of protein and fiber in it. It is perfect for me because it fills me up. It gives me the sweet taste I crave at times, but it’s not too sweet that it makes me crave for more. PERFECT! My second workout will be 30 to 45 minutes either riding my bike outside,walking on the treadmill or biking on my NuStep inside. I work out with Shazi during the week to do all the extra exercises that I love to do, which is dancing with her, cheerleading routine and boxing! I also love to Zumba with Beth!
- FBG: Anything else you’d like to share?
- RG: Since I have lost 50 pounds on my first 90-Day Challenge, I want to focus the next 90 days on encouraging others to fight the obesity epidemic by following my journey of getting below the lowest weigh I can remember—328 pounds. To accomplish this, I will need to change my lifestyle to include more organic raw foods and my Vi Shake, new exercises and focusing on doing my first triathlon—1-mile walk, 1-mile bike and 1-mile hike up a mountain. My fans can follow my journey as I try to break this goal mentally and physically with Vi Products and changing my mindset to conquer this triathlon and aim to hit my goal of 100 pounds lost! This next 90-Day Challenge starts with walking more steps every day and changing my routine to incorporate exercise into everyday activities. Once I increase my walking, I will then increase my endurance while also teaching others how important it is to keep a check on your heart rate and monitor your blood pressure. These next 90 days will be proven when I reach the top of that mountain!
We think Ruby said it best with HOOTIE, HOOT, HOO! Best of luck to you, Ruby! We know you can do it.
Any Ruby fans out there? How has her honesty and story inspired you to be your best? —Jenn
Ruby, Loved your show and want you to know I think you are a sweet and beautiful person. I will keep checking back to see how you are doing. Luv Sharon
Good luck. I lost weight by not dieting. I simply eat when I’m hungry and only when I’m hungry. For the 1st time in my life my weight isn’t yo-yoing. I hope you reach your goals and that you find the happiness that you deserve. Again good luck.
This was the best show. I enjoyed all the ups and downs of it as that is life. It would be great if the show came back since it was such an inspiration for so many people.
Ruby I love your show hope you can return to a new series in the near future!
VERY Inspiring ……………. hope you can get really detailed about your daily food ( what foods, how to measure, calorie counting or not,, very specific ) plateaus hit and we need information how to BREAK THRU
you are a very SEXY CHIC ACTUALLY – several people I now have said that you’re BEAUTIFUL when they’ve seen you on TV
ruby i love u so much ur courage and determined spirit since when i was a teenager i do enjoy ur show, as u have started it u will surly reach ur target and we will all rejoice with u amen
Hello Ruby, Miss your show being on. Hope you get it back soon dag gone it! I am still learning this Facebook stuff, I wanted to request you as a “friend” on Facebook but I could not figure out how to. So would you send me a request to be your friend as I go into my Facebook everyday and would love to be able to keep up with you. Thanks for reading this! We all just Love you girl!!!
Nice interview.I hope it will help me in my weight loss journey.Keep it up Ruby.
Proud of what she’s done but people on a fixed income that are obese can’t afford the costs of your products.
Comments are closed.