How to Get Back in the Workout Game Post-Sickness

So it’s been two weeks. I haven’t lifted a weight, ran a lick, and my body knows it. I huff and puff climbing the stairs in my home. The other day, I helped my fiance Mark with his boot camp. This usually means I get in there and work out with the women as a form of solidarity. I tried to do a warm-up lap, but the wheezing and lung-hacking was too much. I stopped before the first lap was even completed.

Getting back my strength and endurance won’t be easy, but it will happen. I know this weird bug that I caught is going around. Lots of my friends are falling from its nastiness. That being said, if you get it or had it, you must remember to be kind to yourself when it’s time to get back some of your workout rhythm.

Mark recommends taking it super easy your first week. Starting this week, I’ve been advised to reduce the amounts of sets I do (only two). Instead of two-mile interval runs, I’m only doing one mile. The thing is, to truly be a fit bottomed gal, you have to start listening to what is right for your body. There’s no pushing yourself into fitting an idea society has deemed acceptable. You’ll end up remaining sick longer or even worse, injuring yourself and really being out of the game for a long time.

sleep

Know when to rest! Credit By: jafsegal, Flickr

Be kind. Be cognizant. Be honest. If you need specific modifications for getting back your workout mojo then respond in the comments! I’ll have Mark take a look and help you out. He’s pretty frickin’ wonderful like that. —Tish

Comments

1. Michelle says:

It seems like the hardest part of being a FBG is slowing down and rebuilding after an illness or injury. I’m on the injured list right now and limited to stationary cardio. So I won’t have to completely rebuild cardio, but weightlifting will need to be modified for awhile (I broke my elbow).

**Sigh**

2. Mary says:

I’ve been out for a few days due to a really vicious sore throat and head congestion. Finally felt well enough to run a few miles this morning, and it was fantastic!

3. Tish says:

Mary you had what I had!!!! Glad you felt good lol. I’m STILL getting in there slowly and it’s rough lol…UGLY even.

@michelle YES! It is the hardest part! I wish you luck and strength!

4. Camilla says:

I made the mistake of thinking i was getting better. Went for a run and am now worse. I would always suggest a little long of a break and wait till full recovery. So stressful but now i know and taken some good advise from my Learncliki adviser.

5. Jon Chew says:

@Camilla, I’ve made that mistake too. Only after I’ve gone for a run do I realize that I probably need more rest. Not the nicest feeling in the world…

6. Aqilah says:

A lot of my clients step back into it even when they don’t feel a hundred percent and walk out of it feeling worser than ever. I guess we just need to tell ourselves that it’s absolutely okay to have a rest and get better. Easier said than done but once fully recovered it’s worth the time taken to rest!

7. David Wang says:

Personally I’m a huge fan of exercising while you are sick, I think this is one of, if not the, most effective ways of getting over illness. Just need to make sure to hydrate a lot as you are likely going to sweat a little extra due to the illness. Just my opinion, but it seems to work for me.

8. Robie says:

What perfect timing to come across this post? I’m just coming off coming down with some food poisoning; and tonight I pushed myself through your recently posted endurance workout. How long should I take it easy for before doing something like cross fit? I have a 1/2 marathon in two weeks, and while I could run at a slow pace; my stomach still feels a bit queasy making the run kind of painful. When is it ok to start prepping again?