Now that it’s cooler outside, days with kids at the park or at the zoo are few and far between. So now you’re stuck inside on cold, dreary days, trying to fill the time with Play-Doh and crayons. Why not pull out the apples and get baking with your kids to make these adorable mini apple pies? Franci Cohen, personal trainer, certified nutritionist and exercise physiologist, has provided us with this great recipe for these adorable pies — and they won’t break your belt.
6 Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Pre-made pie crust
Directions for the Filling
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut off the top of four apples and remove the inside with a spoon or scooper. Be very careful, as to not puncture the peel!
3. With the two additional apples, remove the skin and slice very thinly. These apple pieces will be the filling for the mini apple pies.
4. Throw the apple slices in a bowl and mix with sugars and cinnamon. Scoop mixture evenly into each of the four hollow apples.
Directions for the topping
1. Roll out pie crust and slice into 1/4 inch strips. Note: You can also add a strip of pastry inside the top of the apple almost like a liner to add a little more texture and sweetness to the pie.
2. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern with pie crust strips.
3. Place apples in an 8×8 pan and add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and sliced apples are soft.
Dig in! Don’t these look super fun? They might not turn out quite as pretty if the toddler set is in charge of helping, but you’ll have fun trying — and trying not to munch on all of the apples while you’re making them!
What’s your favorite fall treat to bake? —Erin