Last fall when I was in New York (and eating good!) for my trip with Brooks Running, I got to pick the brain of Kyle Pfaffenbach, a performance nutrition consultant for Brooks’ elite athletes. And he knew a TON about sports nutrition. In fact, he shared with us how to go to Run Healthy Island. Which, don’t we all want to go to, for, like, every run?
Kyle knows the way.
He shared with the other Brooks Running blog ambassadors and me the best foods for runners that he recommends. While some of them are pretty expected and regularly recommended by running folks, I bet you’ll learn a couple of new ones!
5 Best Foods for Runners
1. Pasta. This is a common one for runners, but one that Kyle recommends for long-distance runners needing to carb load.
2. Salmon. Nothing fishy about salmon! In fact, the omega-3 fatty acids and protein in fatty fish help with muscle recovery and repair. Woot!
3. Apples. Easy to carry, delicious and full of fiber and vitamins and minerals, what’s not to love about this high-energy snack? Not a thing. Especially tasty with nut butter.
4. Avocados. When it comes to the best foods for runners, most think of carbs, carbs, carbs, but Kyle loves avocados. A high-energy source, they are filled with healthy fats that fill you up and help reduce inflammation. Always good post-run!
5. Radishes. Yep, this one surprised us, too! Kyle recommends noshing on raw radishes or throwing them in your smoothie for a vitamin C boost. Check back later today for his post-workout smoothie recipe with radishes here! It’s delish!
Are you a runner? What foods help fuel your runs and help you to run healthy — and happy? —Jenn