How often do you get to smooching with your honey? Well, you might want to up those makeout sesssions because it turns out that there are lots of health benefits of kissing. Yes, kissing! We got the scoop on all them from FabFitFun!
Forget the complete lack of food hang-ups, the daily indulgence of antioxidant-filled red wine … the love of long walks … We have finally figured out what makes French women so darn healthy.
It’s the kissing!
Seriously, there are very real health benefits to getting your French kiss on. Check ’em out!
5 Health Benefits of Kissing
1. It lowers blood pressure. Kissing has been found to reduce levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) which in turn helps to lower blood pressure and improve the immune response.
2. It’s relaxing. No time for that yoga class? Try a little tonsil tennis. A 2009 study found that making out with your partner helped reduce stress and ease anxiety. Studies have also shown that kissing increases levels of oxytocin and endorphins — the body’s natural happy drugs.
3. It boosts your immune system. Suffering from allergies? There’s a kiss for that! Yes, your mouth is filled with germs but apparently those germs can make you stronger. A 2003 study found that smooching can help protect you against allergic triggers.
4. It tones facial muscles. Forget the facelift and get your facial workout with some muscle-toning smooching. #byebyebotox
5. It burns calories. Okay, so it’s not exactly like taking a barre class, but it can burn 60 to 80 calories per hour. Enough to indulge in three to four Hershey’s Kisses. We suggest sharing them with your partner. Of course.
And the unofficial No. 6 reason that kissing rocks? It’s fun! Tell us: Does a makeout session leave you feeling healthier? —Jenn