It’s Fit Bottomed Vacay Week — and today Kira Harrison, a footwear merchandising associate and lifelong runner at Brooks Running, is sharing her tried-and-true tips for fitting a run in when traveling the world. Check out all of our fit travel posts here!
5 Tips to Squeeze in a Run on Vacation
So many people are taking summer trips and weekend getaways with the warmer weather right now, so I wanted to share a few tips so that you can make sure you’re prepared to squeeze in the run in between all the vacation fun!
1. Get out the door in the morning before your day starts. When you are on the road, your schedule can often be unpredictable. By running in the morning you guarantee getting your run in, and it energizes you for the rest of the day.
2. Use your run as a sightseeing opportunity. Running is a great way to see a new place and the run becomes an adventure vs. just exercise.
3. Pack fast-drying apparel, made of synthetic fibers. Because you may not be able to do laundry on the road, you want your gear to dry before you have to pack it back into your suitcase. Also, a plastic bag to wrap around your shoes is helpful to keep dirt and smell away from the rest of your belongings.
4. Connect with a local running store for advice on routes. They also may have running groups that leave from their store, which will provide you with running buddies. If crunched for time, the hotel concierge is also a great resource. Many have pocket-sized maps with recommended running routes, making it simple to get in a good run right out the front door.
5. To keep your legs fresh, wear compression socks on the airplane. This helps maintain blood flow and your legs will feel better on your run.
Do you always squeeze in a run or two when you go on vacation? Where’s the coolest run you’ve ever logged? —Jenn