Yesterday we shared with you a full review of The Loving Kitchen cookbook, and today, as promised, we’re sharing a quick appetizer recipe that’s a fun twist of the traditional Italian salad: caprese!
Quick Appetizer: Caprese Poppers Recipe
Author: LeAnn Rice, The Loving Kitchen
Recipe type: Appetizer
In need of a quick appetizer? Look no further than these bite-size Caprese Poppers!
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- 5-6 basil leaves, torn into small pieces, plus more for garnish
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, cider and balsamic vinegars, shallot, garlic, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
- Slice off the very top of each tomato, and then carefully remove the juice and seeds using a small spoon.
- Fill each tomato with ½ teaspoon of the dressing.
- Then place a piece of mozzarella and a piece of basil in each, so the cheeses and basil rise above the top of the tomato.
- Arrange on a platter and garnish with a fresh bunch of basil.
This seems like the perfect quick appetizer for the holidays, no? Festive and healthy! —Karen