You’ve heard of brunch and brinner, where breakfast is combined with lunch, and breakfast for dinner, respectively, but ever had dinner for breakfast? Ever thought: Hey, I love salad. Why don’t I eat salad for breakfast?!
We have. Which leads to today’s post. The founder of Lorna Jane activewear, Lorna Jane Clarkson, just launched her third book, Nourish: The Fit Woman’s Cookbook, and the recipes really, really, really caught our eyeballs. So much so that for today and the next two days, we’ll be sharing a new recipe a day from this crazy awesome cookbook. Staring with — you guessed it — a recipe for breakfast salad.
In Nourish, Lorna presents a holistic look at how to eat nutritionally dense foods, get off the diet treadmill, improve your body’s digestion, hydration and alkalinity, and truly enjoy every bite of food that you eat. Sounds very FBE, no?
And we are in love with both the concept of a breakfast salad (an easy way to get more veggies in your day and celebrate your love of all things leafy green!) — and this particular breakfast salad recipe. Filled with hearty fall veggies and an egg on top (everything is better with an egg on top), it does take a little prep, but you could do the veggie roasting the night before or make it on a weekend when you have a little more time. Either way, we are a fan of this breakfast salad!
- 9 ½ ounce piece pumpkin, unpeeled, cut into ½ inch thick slices
- 3 ounces Swiss brown mushrooms, halved
- 1 large zucchini, cut diagonally into ½ inch thick slices
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced thickly
- 2 cups trimmed watercress leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted pepitas
- 1 tablespoon cold pressed extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make lemon and thyme dressing, combine the ingredients in a screw-top jar and season to taste. Shake well.
- Combine vegetables and 1 tablespoon dressing in a large baking-paper-lined baking dish. Bake about 25 minutes or until vegetables are browned lightly and tender.
- Combine vegetables and watercress in large bowl. Transfer to serving plates; sprinkle with pepitas. Drizzle with remaining dressing
Ever had breakfast salad? Will you become a convert like us? Stay tuned tomorrow for another Nourishing recipe! —Jenn