We love salads of all kinds. Big ones. Small ones. Kale ones. And even breakfast salads! Which is exactly why we’re sharing yet another salad recipe from the founder of Lorna Jane activewear Lorna Jane Clarkson’s new cookbook Nourish: The Fit Woman’s Cookbook. Full of the flavors of fall, this barley salad recipe has just about everything we love in it: pumpkin, beets, chickpeas and goat cheese. Talk about gorgeous!
- ½ cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 4 ½ ounces green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound pumpkin, unpeeled, sliced thinly
- 4 baby beetroot (beets), peeled trimmed, quartered or halved
- 1 ½ soft goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Place chickpeas in a small bowl, cover with cold water, stand overnight, drain
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook chickpeas and barley in medium saucepan of boiled unfiltered water, about 20 minutes or until tender. Add green beans to pan in last 1 minute of cooking time; drain. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- Meanwhile, to make the maple and thyme dressing, combine ingredients in a screw-top jar, season to taste, shake well to combine.
- Combine pumpkin and beetroot with 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small baking-paper-lined baking dish. Roast about 20 minutes or until caramelized and tender.
- Combine barley, chickpeas, beans, pumpkin and beetroot with spinach and remaining dressing in a medium bowl; toss gently. Serve salad sprinkled with cheese and pepitas.
For a gluten-free twist, I may try this one with quinoa or brown rice instead of the barley. Yum! Come back tomorrow for yet another delicious salad recipe! —Jenn