We’re never one to feel guilty about eating anything, but this weekend does kind of kick off the unofficial start of summer, which also unofficially kicks off the start of barbecue season. Which means there will be burgers and brats and grill-outs galore — not all of which will exactly be heavy on the healthy fare. And for that reason, before we head into Memorial Day weekend, we share with you this healthy burger recipe from celebrity trainer and wellness guru David Kirsch! A mix of ground buffalo meat and ground turkey breast, it’s high in protein, filling and totally flavorful.
- 4 ounces lean ground buffalo meat
- 4 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar, low-sodium barbecue sauce
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Nonfat vegetable cooking spray
- Mix all of the ingredients except the cooking spray in a large bowl.
- Form the mixture into two patties.
- Spray a barbecue grill or nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat to medium-high heat.
- Place the patties on grill or skillet, and cook about 8 minutes per side (for medium), until cooked through.
What’s your favorite food to throw on the grill? I’m a big fan of veggie kabobs — and avocado! —Jenn