Sometimes instead of being cool you want your music to just ROCK. I mean “get out the hairspray, turn-it-up to 11 and let your inner 80s goddess roar” kind of rock. Right?! So we created a workout playlist that’s 10 tunes of pure pump-your-first-in-the-air fun that will make your next workout feel like the best outdoor concert of your life.
1. Guns N’ Roses, “Sweet Child of Mine” (5:55). I’m a fitness instructor and let me tell you — when the first few notes of this song come out over the speakers the room goes completely crazy! Every. Single. Time.
2. Lita Ford, “Kiss Me Deadly” (3:59). Lita Ford is not only an incredible guitarist but she also knows how to write a song with killer hook. “Kiss me once. Kiss me twice. Come on pretty baby — kiss me deadly!”
3. Def Leppard, “Pour Some Sugar on Me” (4:25). Believe it or not, this tune was NOT an immediate hit for Def Leppard. They had to take it on the road and film their audience singing along to get MTV to release a video of it. Can you even imagine a world without it?
4. Bon Jovi, “Runaway” (3:50). The Jersey rockers have so many classic hits in their arsenal, but this one just kicks a little extra butt when you need to take your workout up a notch.
5. Poison, “Talk Dirty to Me” (3:44). This is one of those tunes that makes you want to jump in a car with a bunch of your friends and tear off down the highway.
6. Vixen, “Edge of a Broken Heart” (4:33). Ahhh yeah! This all-girl rock band from L.A. knew how to rock out just as good as any dudes on the Sunset Strip — and with the best hair ever!
7. Scorpions, “Rock You Like a Hurricane” (4:11). One of the best songs on this list that just so happens to have a very cheesy 80s video attached to it — which kind of makes it even more awesome, no?
8. Twisted Sister, “We’re Not Gonna Take It” (3:38). If there is a better way to channel inner rage in a healthy matter that’s not by shouting (and I do mean shouting) along to this classic I have yet to find it. Because, you know, we’re just not gonna take it anymore!
9. Motley Crue, “Kickstart My Heart” (4:48). Can you name another song that talks about sky-diving naked from an “aero-plane” or a lady “with a body from outerspace?” No? Then case closed!
10. Whitesnake, “Is This Love” (4:48). I could have chosen from a whole slew of 80s cheesy power ballads to use one as the cool down song, but “Is This Love” is a seriously lovely song and the perfect way to finish this rockin’ list.
And find this playlist on Spotify, too!
Now tell us—what are YOUR favorite hair band tunes? —Margo