Wanna put a little summer vacation into your next workout? Take this playlist directly to the beach or the gym or track or the trail to put a little extra fun into your next sweat session. These 10 sun-worthy tunes here are guaranteed to make your next workout feel like the vacation you SO deserve right now!
1. LMFAO, “Sexy and I Know It” (3:19). Does any song out there make people want to move more than this one? From its infectious beat to the invitation to “wiggle, wiggle, wiggle!” this one from LMFAO will get your workout started off in a party mood.
2. DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince, “Summertime” (4:29). Did you know that Will Smith started his career as part of a rap duo? Well he did and “The Fresh Prince” at one time laid down some amazing grooves such as this classic.
3. Katy Perry, “California Gurls” (3:56). If there is anyone who knows how to write a party anthem, it is Katy Perry. She really sets a fun mood here with this synth/pop classic that will make you want to put on some short shorts and have some fun.
4. Kid Rock, “All Summer Long” (4:58). Kid Rock, in a daring move of sheer genius, mixes Lynrd Skynrd with Warren Zevon to create a magical song that really can only be heard (properly) by rolling down the highway with the windows wide open.
5. Michael Franti & Spearhead, “Sound of Sunshine” (3:45). Why this little ditty does, in fact, sound like sunshine — and it is a marvelous thing to enjoy.
7. The Go-Go’s, “Vacation” (2:59). Sure the title is obviously about, you know, jetting away. But getting the mood about taking a vacation to escape a broken heart and yet have it sound so promising is truly an amazing thing.
8. Nelly, “Hot in Here” (3:38). In my opinion, any song that gets a whole room to holler about taking their clothes off just screams “summer!”
9. The Lovin’ Spoonful, “Summer in the City” (2:43). After spending several years in New York City, I can personally tell you that every single word of this tune is absolutely true — starting with the sound of the jack hammers to the back of “your neck getting dirty and gritty.”
10. Jimmy Buffet, “Margaritaville” (4:08). So are you ready to cool down and enjoy that fruity drink on the beach? This classic tune will help take you to paradise and make you think that steel drums are way cool!
Listen to it on Spotify here or below!
What “summer vacation” songs would you put on a workout playlist? —Margo