Got 15 minutes? Then you’ve got enough time to quadruple weight loss, maximize workouts by 85 percent, boost happiness and energy levels by more than 40 percent, and unlock lasting weight-loss, says celeb trainer Joel Harper.
Maximize workouts by 85 percent? Boost energy by 40 percent? Yeah, that got our attention, too.
Harper’s new book, Mind Your Body: 4 Weeks to a Leaner, Healthier Life, is all about the connection between the three “Ms”: meals, moves and mindsets. And we dig it. In our opinion, not enough weight-loss programs and books focus on the mental/body image side of things (except ours, of course!) — and it’s SO DARN NECESSARY!
We recently got to pick Mr. Harper’s brain about his book (man, we love Harper boys!), his weight-loss secrets and, well, brains in general! Get ready for some great advice, guys — no matter if you want to lose a few pounds or not!
8 Questions With Celeb Trainer Joel Harper
1. Why did you decide to write this new book? For multiple reasons:
- I want to help a wider audience other than my private clients.
- I want to touch the reader to show them how they can be energized, tension-free, balanced and happy.
- Save them time, so that they don’t waste it unnecessarily and not accomplish their goals.
- I wanted to address multiple issues that are very misleading in the media.
- Offer a new perspective to help break through their negative thinking and repetitive patterns.
2. What role does the mind play in weight-loss? Extremely. It can be our best friend or worst enemy. If you can’t visualize and think your body at its ideal self to you, then you are never going to achieve it. Your mind can allow you to enjoy the process and stick to it or it can drain you every step of the way.
3. What are a few easy ways people can “think” themselves healthier?
- Closing your eyes and visualizing every part of your body from your head to your toes and seeing exactly what you want.
- Putting four Post-It notes up throughout your house to remind you of your goals. This will reboot your thoughts and keep your thinking focused on your finish line.
- Practicing affirmations that are unique to you and your goals that are going to resonate with your inner self.
- By thinking ahead and always being prepared. This allows you to not be swooped up by bad decision making. It makes your decision making automatic.
4. How can women help stop the mental inner chatter? By being mindful. Taking the time to stop, breathe, scan your body, release any tension and listen to your thoughts. You control your thoughts. Your thoughts do not control you.
5. Your book talks a lot about maximizing workouts. What’s a simple step readers can take today to get a more effective workout? Use the 1 to 10 number scale on every exercise you do. 1 is easy (you are not really feeling it) and 10 is hard (it burns big time). When you are working out and with every movement, make sure you continue until it burns at a 9 or 10 and don’t stop until it does. This is how you get results.
6. What’s the biggest misconception people have about weight-loss? That weight-loss is easy and there is a quick way to do it. There is an efficient way to do it, but there are no shortcuts. It is like studying a foreign language; you have to put in the time, with a well balanced diet, the right mind set and exercising every muscle from every angle.
7. What’s the one thing people can do today to be healthier? Look at exercise like brushing your teeth. You can’t just brush your teeth on Saturday and make up for not brushing all week. You brush your teeth every day. Exercise is the same. Consistency is the key.
8. Anything else you’d like to add? Water is a key component of weight-loss. Most clients come to me not drinking enough water every day. First thing in the morning, drink 8 ounces of water and then scattered throughout the day drink half your body weight in ounces a day. So if you weigh 120 pounds, that is 60 ounces a day. If you worked out for an hour that is an additional 10 more ounces.
A big thanks to Joel for sharing his weight-loss secrets! We couldn’t agree more with the mind be SO important to being healthy and visualizations being key. See it … feel it … live it! —Jenn
[schema type=”book” url=”http://www.joelharperfitness.com/” name=”Mind Your Body: 4 Weeks to a Leaner, Healthier Life” description=”Joel Harper’s Mind Your Body provides simple, effective ways to harness your brainpower to make lasting changes. Utilizing his powerful three-step approach, readers will learn how to quickly and simply access mindful techniques, combine them with effective fifteen minute workouts, and eat simply and deliciously to quickly, efficiently, and effortlessly yield successful weight loss, a leaner and firmer body, reduced stress, improved health, increased happiness, and enhanced energy.” author=”Joel Harper” publisher=”HarperOne” pubdate=”2015-03-17″ isbn=”0062348175″ ebook=”yes” paperback=”yes” hardcover=”yes” ]